Cummins Diesel Forum banner

97 hard to start wont idle

920 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  jacob_stang 
#1 ·
I just got done fixing a leaking transfer pump and a kinked fuel supply line now the truck wont start unless I give it fuel and wont idle for more than a minute. I can hear missing every now and then. I bled the truck twice per the service manual. Checked pre filter its clean. Getting ready to check the fuel filter. Do the injectors need bled? anyone done this and had this problem. Truck idled fine before this...anything helps

#3 ·
No I only replaced the kinked line. The pump appears new I just bought the truck a month ago and this isn't the first leaky problem I've found. I removed the pump because gasket was leaking and found that he stripped the mounting holes out. Ran a tap through deeper and fixed that problem. I replaced the line with a fitting with a 1/4 hose barb and ran some Goodyear fuel line I had laying around up to the banjo bolt. I cleaned the filter and found some gasket maker residue inside. Pressed the primer bulb a couple times to make sure the line was pushing fuel. Put filter back on dry (didn't have any fuel around to refill it) now I'm bleeding it. Been spewing bubbly fuel for the last 20 minutes wtf am I sucking air?

#4 ·
More than likely. The easiest way to find the air leak is to pressurize the fuel tank, something that has been posted numerous times. You will see air bubbles wherever the air is being sucked in. Search is your friend.

#5 ·
I'm gonna replace the filter for starters. And what if I just pressurize the line at the pump/heater assembly instead? I don't see why it needs pressure all the way back at the tank if I didn't disconnect anything back there. Thanks for the help so far guys.

#6 ·
Ok so I get a new filter and put it on. Pressure test the lines and find the one on the fuel heater is leaking. Clean it off bleed it (actually worked this time...) fired it up and ran like a champ...for two minutes and died. Try bleeding and were back to square one it seems. I will take filter off again tomorrow and see if some more gasket material has come loose and clogged the lines. Anything helps this is my first diesel I'm still trying to learn some here.

#7 ·
Ok I've disassembled every fitting I had off when I removed the pump, cleaned, inspected and then reinstalled everything. Pressure test the line coming from the fuel tank again. Not seeing any leaks. Bleed it. Fires right up runs for 2 minutes and dies. Loosen the bleed bolt. Ton of air coming out. Push the primer button a dozen times until nothing but clear fuel is coming out. Tighten up and it fires up again and runs for two minutes. This process is repeating been about 6 times now. Any ideas?

#8 ·
It's fixed now. Just started bypassing components in the fuel supply system until I found what didn't make it run. Turned out the fuel heater was leaking out the electrical connector and I didn't catch it. I just bypassed the assembly altogether... what a headache from something so worthless.

#9 ·
lol as im scrolling and reading your posts i was wondering if you had deleted your fuel heater yet. those things are useless and known to short out and suck air. all you need to do is remove it and screw your prefilter back in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhrS9-0tcqk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.