Cummins Diesel Forum banner

97 wont run...

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  DanG144 
#1 ·
So having trouble getting truck to start or stay running. I'm kind of fed up since the truck just got back from the shop with repairs done, i thought fixed my fuel problems, no power, ect. Anyways after waiting for the mechanics, that turnded out to be totally incompetent, figure out what was wrong the truck got a new lift pump, and fuel shutoff solenoid, which im not sure if i needed in the first place because the big repair, the injector pump was in need of rebuilding. Which i had done by a bosch certified shop, not the shop that did the repairs. So with new injector pump, lift pump, and fuel shutoff solenoid had the truck back running and on the road. The truck ran great and felt better than ever even with the mods i have in sig restored to stock and no gsk because the bosch shop rebuilds the pumps back to stock. Which was ok with me beacause the truck seemed to have plenty of power but i have to put my gsk back in. Then about a month later the truck is starting to be hard to start. But recently the truck just died idling. I had a leak at the fuel filter housing, the canister had come loose so i tightended that to get the truck started. But down the road it lost power and died. Im stumped at what it could be, maybe injectors:confused013:? The fuel gauge just recently stopped working so im suspecting maybe my fuel sending unit is bad or i got a leak there, because there is for sure no fuel leaks anywhere and im running a new fuel filter, but the fuel filter housing is not staying sealed, have to tighten every so often or it leaks and the truck can be hard to start but thats a seperate issue. Any help is welcomed:thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
There have been numerous reports of our canister filter housings ('97-'98) cracking. Mine has held up, but I have one from a '96 engine on the shelf. Your leak is not a separate issue. Replace the filter housing and I'll bet your other problems go away.
'97-'98, 12V Dodge Turbo Diesel Fuel Filter Kit-Geno's Garage

#3 ·
Found out it's my sending unit like I thought. I'm wondering replace the module while I'm at it or just the fuel sending unit?

#4 ·
Just so we are on the same page. The sending unit is a float and resistor assy that attaches to the module. The module is the big thing that is inside the tank held down by a big plastic nut. The sending unit will not cause hard starting or any of the other problems you listed.

#5 ·
Ok yeah I'm understanding the fuel tank on these 97s now. I'm going off what the mechanics at cummins are telling me. So now it's the whole module that's toast. It's drawing little to no fuel out of the tank. Trying to find replacement through dealer is not the way to go FYI, sure you know this, their discontinued and close to $500. I've done a little more research and found carter makes a replacement at a much lower cost and supposed to be pretty good, it's a complete module to replace the oem one. Anyone ever run one I these in their fuel setup or what's another way to do a 97 fuel system not sure I want a fass with my mods at this point, which are all stock now as of the injector pump rebuild by Bosch

#6 ·
If it were me I would pull it and see exactly what's wrong with it.

If you want to keep it as stock as possible, this is an option if the line has a hole in it. Larryb - LarryB's Dodge Diesel Fuel Tank Draw Straw Sump Repair Kit, 1994-2004

Otherwise if you need to replace the whole unit you can get a sump or draw straw for less then the whole "fuel module".

On a side note, is that what's it's official name is, "fuel module"? I've always miscorrectly called it the "fuel sending unit". But "fuel module" kinda seems undescriptive, unlike "fuel filter" or "lift pump".... I don't think to much, I just think about the wrong things lol.

#7 ·
On a side note, is that what's it's official name is, "fuel module"? I've always miscorrectly called it the "fuel sending unit". But "fuel module" kinda seems undescriptive, unlike "fuel filter" or "lift pump".... I don't think to much, I just think about the wrong things lol.
Does this help? A new module comes with a sender. A new sender does not come with a module.

OP, make sure the dealer isn't looking at gasser modules. If diesel modules are in fact not available, the draw straw is a good option. I agree that you need to remove and inspect it before doing anything else.

#8 ·
I would also pull the unit and inspect it. Cleaning out the fuel tank at the same time.
In other diesel applications, I have found leaves, nitrile gloves, and other debris in the tank.
But mostly water and biologic growth. Sometimes the growth is jelly like, sometimes tiny black fibers. The fibers have plugged the fuel strainer and other restrictions in the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.