Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Sanity check re: local diesel shop

1K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  67baja 
#1 ·
Okay, Here is the scenario: My beater work truck (1994 sclb, 5 speed) needed a new clutch. I ordered and received a new Valair 13 inch clutch kit with flywheel, etc and had a local DIESEL shop tow my truck ($100) in and install the clutch ($580). When the tore it down to do the install they found both the master and slave were leaking and suggested I replace them ($138 for their labor to install them). They were okay with me getting the parts and dropping them off so I went to Autozone for the master and slave cylinders. They installed them and cannot bleed them. They thought they could bleed them after installing them. I have found numerous videos and articles on how to do this (off the truck) so I know it can be done and highly doubt they are faulty parts. Of course they want to sell me new Dodge parts ($500+) that have the line already attached so they don't have to bleed them.

Fast forward for like 6 weeks and my truck is still in the shop, they keep telling me they will pull them off and bleed them correctly but they still have not done it. I have told them I will bleed them if they just take them off the truck. Also note they have not contacted me, all communication has been initiated by me.

This has gone on long enough and today will be the day something happens, but what do you think I should do? I feel they should tow the truck back to my house for free, and I will pay them the $580 for the clutch install and the $100 for the tow to their shop. These are what I agreed to pay originally when the truck went in to their shop.

Suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
If they can't bleed a clutch system they have no business changing your oil.

Have them bring your rig back, pay for the clutch install and the first tow.

I would not pay them for installing the clutch hydraulics because I wouldn't consider the install complete until it was bled and functional. If they're incapable of that, I would be incapable of paying them the $138 for labor.

#3 ·
I went to the shop today and told them I want my truck back today and that I wasn't going to pay for their install of the master/slave. That brought the shop owner out to speak to me. He said "well they are installed on the truck." At which time I asked "so they are properly installed and I can drive my truck??" and he said "well, no." He made is seem like it was so strange to get a master and slave that needed to be bled, which I explained wasn't rocket science.

He promised me they would be properly bled by Monday if I give him a chance to make it right. Of course I have been told twice in the last 15 days they would get it done and it hasn't been done, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and we shall see if they pull through for me. After all, I don't want to do the work myself or I would not have take the truck to the shop!

#5 ·
No. The slave and master are new items that they installed onto the truck THEN tried to bleed, which is not the way to bleed them. They must be bled off the truck. I don't think it is anything more than their inability to do it. They asked for a new slave and master since mine were leaking so I brought them those parts. They like the set where the master and slave are already "married" with the hydraulic line and pre-bled so they do not have to bleed them.

There was another seriously unhappy customer in the shop too.

#8 · (Edited)
Post the PN of the item you purchased. I have yet to see an assembled master/slave setup that needs to be bleed. There are always exceptions but I really doubt it. Search you tube for perfection clutch bleeding. I misplaced my favorite link for bleeding these systems. However it does not need to be removed from the truck to be bleed correctly. I would remove the slave and block it, but that is it. If I find my the preferred video I'll post a link to it.

I still think if they can't figure this simple procedure out, they probably are not qualified to replace a clutch. I am very particular about my clutch installs. I do measure everything, and I pay very close attention to the items as they are removed to give me indicators of mis-alignment and run out. Most shops will not measure anything. Just pull the old parts and install the new parts. It will usually work long enough that that they don't have to warranty their work.

#6 ·
I lived in Vegas a lot of years and I am curious what shop that is? Probably a good idea for other forum members to know that reside in Vegas

#7 ·
"Diesel Doctor" on Sunset. I knew nothing about them other than they had the word "diesel" in the name and they quoted me less money than another shop.

#9 ·
#10 ·
Ah I see. Have no idea why they wouldn't try bleeding it out of the truck, especially if there is no bleeder screw. Pretty good reason to by the assembled bled units. Usually the labor rate for replacing both and bleeding is higher than the assembled units.

#11 ·
Just a follow up: They called Monday late in the day saying the truck was done, but they had to replace the neutral safety switch also. I picked up the truck yesterday morning and all seems to be okay as of now. The new clutch is a bit grabby and chatters on take off a bit, but it works.
Now it is time to start fixing the other issues on the truck as well as install the gsk, valve springs, headliner, seat, fender, headlights, carpet kit and more I am sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.