Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Humming noise from boost.

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Livee2ridee 
#1 ·
So I have a 97 12 valve with 208,000 miles on it. Whenever I hit around 5 to 10 psi of boost I get this humming noise from under the hood. As if you were blowing across the top of a glass bottle. I have no idea where it is coming from exactly. I've tried powerbreaking and building boost that way but it doesn't make the noise then. Any help would be great! Thanks!

#3 ·
I don't think so, I took all of them off a week ago and cleaned them up and put them back on and tightened them up. They were all really tight when I took them off. Maybe I need new boots?

#4 ·
And it was doing the humming prior to me taking them off.

#7 ·
I checked shaft play. There's none front to back, but side to side and up and down is really minimal. Hardly moves and takes a lot of effort to move it. I was going to pressure check my boost lines next. Then change my intake gaskets when I do a new intake in the next few weeks.

#8 ·
Sorry it took so long for me to get back. But I ended up just doing the rebuild on it. I basically gutted and replaced everything in it and balanced it. My journal bearings were getting worm out and my stupid K&N air filter let some muddy water through into the turbo and trashed the compressor wheel. Everything is like new now! Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.