Cummins Diesel Forum banner

New Transfer Case No Speedometer

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  atasirudy 
#1 ·
Driving a 1996 4x4 2500 Built Auto Not Stock. Trashed the first transfer case. So here I am I just put in a nice 241 DHD off an 2001. Still getting all the linkages figured out. The problem is that with the newer transfer case the speedometer sensor, if thats what you call it, is not in the same position as the old. The spot where it should be isn't machined out. Guess I should have thought about that before I got it, but anyway oh well. Just seeing if any y'll have any info on the subject.

#2 ·
The 98+ trucks had a rear dif speed sensor instead of the transfer case speed sensor.

#3 ·
Run a GPS and don't worry about it. My Samurai didn't have a Speedo the entire time I owned it and honestly going from 215/75/15 stock to 34" tires it would have been useless anyway. I just stuck to the GPS and all was good.

#4 ·
If you don't care if the odometer isn't logging miles a gps is an easy alternative. If you want the speedo to work correctly you can get a signal from the ABS sensor in the differential, route it thru a SGI-5 interface, and have a speedometer that can be calibrated. Directions in post #4 (search is your friend, I don't always read all the posts) http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/9...-aftermarket-6-speed-speedo-isnt-working.html

Reactions: foxwar71
#8 ·
I'm gonna try this... Thanks...
Outa all these trucks I get one without the limited slip diff so I was thinking on replacing the whole rear axle with one with ls. Would a one from a 98+ fit bolt up then splice in the wires for the speedo and odometer?

#5 ·
you can change the tail section and install the worm gear and make it work like factory. I went to a junk yard a got one that was broke in a wreck and got my parts cheap.

#6 ·
That only works on 2WD. 4X4 trans never had a provision for a VSS.

#7 ·
4x4 transfer cases had speedo 94-97 98 was when they changed. I have a 01 transfer case in mine with a 96 tail housing.

#10 ·
:agree2: it will require some type of jimmy rigging.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.