Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help needed!!!

791 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  atasirudy 
#1 ·
Hey guys alright so I was driving my 97 12 valve the other day getting on it pretty hard when I looked behind me and saw a white cloud and thermostat was pinned jumped out and there was oil sprayed everywhere it had been acting somewhat funny prior being somewhat hard to start compared to normal now hard starting and blows steady white smoke so today started it up and popped the throttle and it looks like oil is coming out against the block just behind the fuel pump there's a white strip behind the pump up under the intake manifold it seemed like the white smoke eased up after a little there's no foam or oil in the radiator and it looked like one of the injectors on the opposite side might have some fuel around it but I'm soo mad at this point I haven't even looked at it kinda tired of fixing this damn thing more then I get to drive it

#2 ·
You say the "thermostat was pinned"...I'm assuming you mean the water temperature guage was pinned at its maximum? If so, that's rarely a fine moment and you overheated the crap out of it. At a minimum the head is now warped and you may have blown the head gasket. White smoke (steam) out the exhaust is an indicator of that. As far as the oil, who knows, clean it up really well and see if you can tell where it's coming from. It really is hard to tell without actually looking at the truck. I wouldn't run it any more until you figure out why it overheated and you need to assess the potential damage. Next time, watch you gauges more closely, you might avoid another disaster.

#3 ·
Was the white smoke just the oil burning off that had sprayed all over or was it out the tail pipe? As Southtowns said, over heating, no matter the cause is a bad thing but knowing the cause and checking the potential issues it may have created for you, is very important at this point. You want to know how to proceed before you do more damage. I have seen too many people get mad at a vehicle for break downs that are completely the operators lack of care and not the fault of the truck. Low oil or coolant and beating on anything will eventually damage it so not the trucks fault man.

#4 ·
The truck was fresh off an oil change which I have done every 3000 miles and thermostat was pegged maybe 3 sec it seemed to have spiked rather then rising slowly the white smoke is out of the exhaust pipe thanks for the help on diagnosing the problem

#5 ·
Perfect example of a blown headgasket, welcome to the performance world.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.