Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Grinding in rear end

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  wgr73 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Last night I noticed my truck grinding VERY hard in the rear end....almost feeling like teeth (diff?) are binding or something. This happened once in the past and went away on it's own. I's back now worse than ever. It even slightly bounces the bed of my truck when it's grinding. Below are the conditions in which it happens:

1. Going forward whileTurning left or right
2. Going in reverse while Turning left or right
3. In gear or out of gear for both 1 and 2

It does NOT happen when I go in a straight line (either reverse or forward). I have already changed the rear diff fluid months ago with LSD fluid. It hadn't appeared again until I went into 4x4 last night doing some REALLY difficult sandy hills offroad. Also, I had to go thru a 1.5ft standing pool of water for about 100yds. Not sure if water would get in the diff somehow and mix with the LSD fluid..I'd hope not. Any ideas?

#8 ·
I JUST had this happen in my tundra, it ended up being the carrier bearing was bad allowing slop when turning and the mid shaft ujoint was bad. Made those EXACT symptoms, I was already shopping a new rear end when I figured out the problem. Only does it when turning and you can feel it in the whole truck, feels like it's coming from a binding rear diff, you'd be surprised

#7 ·
Clutches in the rear grabbing intermittently because of the limited slip additive breaking down maybe? idk but someone skimped on the additive in a rear end at work it would shudder in corners. Added more and it went away.

#12 ·
First check any and all Ujoints on the rear drive shaft. Then put a jack under rear diff and lift both rear wheels off the ground, hold one wheel and spin the other and listen for grinding/binding. I would bet its a spider gear moving for some reason and under the right circumstances binding. It all depends on what you have going on in your diff (open/limited slip). If you know anything about rear ends then try and check for bad patterns/wear on the ring gear teeth. and when you take the diff cover off make sure to catch your fluid and inspect for metal shavings/chunks.

Goodluck

#13 ·
Thanks!

THIS IS ODD - The next morning it was totally gone!? Now, when the truck is driven for 10-15min straight it comes back, but not nearly as bad. If I ever-so-slightly turn the steering wheel it happens. If I lock it full right or full left it doesn't.....This is extremely odd.

#14 ·
Look at your front end. Sometimes noises and vibrations are felt far away from where they are caused.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.