Cummins Diesel Forum banner

6 speed swap (already used search!)

961 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bootstrap 
#1 ·
I found a thread on this forum with a guy that did it and he said it is a bolt in swap but you need driveshafts modified, starter spacer, bigger clutch, different crossmember, and the shift linkage modified. Well, what bigger clutch is he referring to? Where do I get a starter spacer? When referring to different crossmember does that mean the one that came from a nv5600 truck? I was gonna run a NV4500 in my sig truck's conversion, but I am starting to lean towards a 5600 for towing and mpg. Thoughts? Also, is the 5600 all mechanical like the 4500 or is there a difference besides the guts and extra gear?

I'm already having to mod the driveshafts and linkages so that makes no difference to me

#2 ·
It's a stronger trans though some have had issues. How heavy are you towing? I tow 15000 with my nv4500. Only real issue is I have to hang in third a few seconds longer whereas that 6 speed would have a gear to jump to. If I were going 6 speed it would be a G56, because they are still in production. Nv4500 is cheaper all around except for fluid. And that's not even much.

My 47re to nv4500 was almost entirely bolt in.

#4 ·
Agree with what bootstrap said. A six speed is for easier towing and to brag to your friends that you have one. G56 is better but is not a bolt in. nv5600 works but can be hard to find and pricey. That said a g56 is a future goal for my truck.
Nv5600 is mechanical and I think a bolt-in.
G56 you need to fab a crossmember and drive lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.