Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Not so new guy with a new question

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  5.9GMCrew 
#1 ·
I haven't been on in years, deal on a cummins fell thru. Now I have a line on another one (that I will be getting) but not sure where to start or just how to do it.

The motor is out of a 92 pusher bus. It's 190 horse, inline pump with I think a Holeset turbo. Don't know the story of the motor, but something got inside the air filter and took the compressor out, chewed up pretty good. I don't plan on going crazy with the motor, but like to put a fuel plate in and just tune it and run it. There is a little free play in the shaft, but seen worse. Was told once oil pressure is in there it won't move. Should I get this one rebuilt or just save forever and get a new one?

The pump. Again, don't know the history of the motor. The lines are off, dunno if that will hurt anything or not. Will need to be cleaned out obviously. Motor has little over 200k on it, and should have been decently maintained by the city. I was told that most pumps are just gasket/seals overhauled, and could be worn out. Getting one tested is about $300, with a full rebuilt pushing $2k. Does this sound right?

I plan on rebuilding the motor, so I know it's good to go. Don't know what the innards look like yet anyways. From what I've been told rebuild kits aren't too crazy expensive. Is there anything I should do or look out for? Plan on getting head done too...

The injectors are out and not even sure if they are there, so figured buying new ones. Recommendations?

My plan is to put this in an 88 Chevy K3500, SAS'd with a HP60. Tranny will be an NV4500. The motor is 190 horse/475 torque, I wanted to put #5 fuel plate, but not sure what else would need to be done. This will most likely be just a hot rod type truck, playing in the mud, only hauling will be 2 ATVs on a small trailer.

See less See more
#2 ·
And the question is???

#4 ·
He is looking for opinions on injectors.

I think if you put 24 valve injectors in a 12v you get a nice hp bump.

Is that not true?

#7 ·
5x.012's are still in the "good fuel mileage" range. I would find an he351cw. You can find a good pump for 5-800.

#9 ·
5x.014's then, can run on mild compounds or can tune to be clean on a single.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.