Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Stock boost?

8K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  ETN550 
#1 ·
With everything being stock on my truck such as fueling, turbo, etc ... roughly how much boost should my truck be making b/c I do not have a boost gauge, I'm looking to get one and when I get one and it is all hooked up I want to know if I am making the boost I should be?

#2 ·
In tc lock up, and remember that I am a manual guy, at wot, maybe 25psi.

Reactions: 95cumminsturbolag
#5 ·
When mine was stock, it took everything it had to break 20. If I let it fall down to 15-1600rpm while towing you could barely get above 12-15. Keep it mind not all wastegates are in the same shape whether it's just rusted or the adjustment is off, so you'll get get some variation between trucks. Mine had the pump replaced before I bought it, so maybe the didn't tune it quite right either.

#8 · (Edited)
What? No it's not.
With an auto it's 19 psi floored to the board. That's if the waste gate is operating and I'm sure it is.
Stock manuals got 21-23 depending on year iirc.
Stock auto is less than stock manual because it produces less power.

Edit; that's for 96-98 12 valves. The 94-95 auto produced less power so I would suspect your boost in stock form to be less, perhaps 16 psi.

#12 ·
Wot your open down pipe around 1000rpm- 1300 does it sound like you have a miss? And then after 1300 does is smooth back out?

#13 ·
30's nothing for these engines. I hit 45-ish many times with a fixed wastegate, and after after adjusting the actuator to limit boost to 30, I bumped the timing to 20* on a 280,000 mile head gasket. I did replace/retorque head bolts before bumping timing but that's it.

It's been holding solid for a whole month. :rof

#11 ·
You'd be ok at 30

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.