Cummins Diesel Forum banner

one normal battery, one marine battery???

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Gcnettl 
#1 ·
I just found a 2 inch crack on one of my batteries near my positive terminal post on the top. im about to make a long journey across country. i have a near brand new marine battery sitting around, Can i just swap it for the cracked one and run one of each????? i couldnt think of a reason not to, but im not sure what the real differences are

#2 ·
It's never a good idea to run different types batteries as they take charges at different rates and the ecm only senses the combined charge, thus one of the two will end up overcharging and eventually failing, occasionally explosively.

#7 · (Edited)
If the marine battery has a CCA rating (Cold Cranking Amps) on the case, it isn't a true deep cycle battery and will be fine. If it is rated in Ah (Amp Hours) then it is a true deep cycle battery with much thicker plates and is not made for starting truck engines. It will work, but I'd get two of the same type and group. My .02 cents.

#9 ·
I'm going to take a look at the battery and see about the cca, also yes I have a voltage regulater, I may just take the battery out clean every thing and throw some rtv on the crack (battery has been performing fine, (for now)), and throw it back in, then if absolute need be I can bring the marine to jump myself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.