Cummins Diesel Forum banner

timing bump?

954 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  coalroll4power 
#1 ·
im wanting to advance my pump timing to 17* ive read the pump timing articles and am thinking it may be a little too in depth for me. plus the timing kit is roughly the same price as ive been quoted to have a local shop do it. im just a little skeptical of auto shops in general. so my question is is there anyway to know that they actually did bump my timing? i.e. will it idle smoother? is there a noticeable power increase, etc

#2 ·
Why 17? If you don't like that setting will they adjust it again for free? Two adjustments will more than pay for the tools, you know that it has been done, and you can adjust it again if you don't like the second setting for free. But to answer your question you will know if the timing has been advanced to 17 the first time you try to take off from a stop sign. The turbo lag will be noticeably longer.

#3 ·
I was under the impression that 16.5 or 17 would yield better mpg and midrange power. I dont want to lose much bottom end as I have 35" tires and 3.54 gears. I plan on doing 4.10s in the future maybe it would be best to wait til then or can the turbo lag be tuned out some what with the afc

#4 ·
I can't tell you what is best. Every engine/truck/driver combo is different. That is why I recommend you get your own tools. You need to try different settings for your engine.

Reactions: moparshark
#5 ·
Must play with it. . I went to a very reputable guy by me that did dyno mine for 2 bills and took about four settings to get it right on the timing after that it slipped so I bought the tools.. 16.25 on mine is the magic number

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.