Cummins Diesel Forum banner

No Pulling power

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  atasirudy 
#1 ·
Ok so I pulled my 3000 pound travel trailer along with my atv in the bed of my truck. I have a 98 12 valve with an automatic transmission. I manually shifted through the gears. I could not get this thing to go over 55 mph. At about 40 mph, the truck started lugging really bad like it had no power. What could be the issue? torque converter or transmission? im not too happy because i burned more diesel than i should have.:help1:

#2 ·
Probably neither. Research low power problems.

#3 ·
I agree, fuel pressure, and boost leak would be at the top of my list.

#5 ·
For a 98 its a 47re

#8 ·
Or a loose intake bolt, or the boost regulator line to the afc diaphragm is loose. Cant diagnose where it's leaking without some soapy water.

#10 ·
It wouldn't have as much power in overdrive because you were loosing boost and the turbo has to play catch up.

#11 ·
And it'll smoke like a freight train.

#12 ·
it was puffing a cloud of white smoke during take off then it turned black after that. the back of my cab is pretty black from smoke stain.

#13 ·
I'd check for a boost leak

#14 ·
i sprayed soapy water on my injectors, injector lines, on the pump, and on the lines going to the turbo. no leaks anywheres. im not sure if thats what i was supposed to do. this is my first diesel. i guess i shoulda stayed in trade school maybe i would have learned a thing or two.

#17 ·
ive learned alot today. ive been researching off and on guys. i got a few things i will check on once i get off of work. like i said before this is my first diesel so i have alot to learn. no need to be rude.

#18 ·
If that's rude, then you are in for a tough life. Sounds like getting familiar with your truck and the information on this forum would be a good idea for you. Spend several hours reading on here and do searches for specific questions.

I don't see any mention of potential fueling mods, or mention of differential gearing or tire size. Among many other things, these play a big role in trouble shooting your specific issue.

#19 ·
I finally found the leak. A rubber boot rubbed against an air conditioner line and had a hole in it. I cant find these rubber boots anywhere at the local parts stores. Can i just use rubber hose for this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.