Cummins Diesel Forum banner

my own 5th gear fix

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ETN550 
#1 ·
I had a 97 a couple years ago that lost 5th and had it repaired by a guy here. and now i have a 96 and decided to do the fix myself. my last truck i sold to my dad and 5th is still holding, a couple years now, hard towing.
I just lost 5th in the 96 a couple months ago and this has held for 10,000 km so far...
guy named hugh at g&g trans has seen it a couple times and being a machinest aswell he double nuts the bearing nut but takes a 10,000th off one side of the second nut, so it binds.. and he says he never had heard of one coming off so far..
The nuts are hard to track down but when you find one you take off the bevelled end of it because its too wide to grab all the threads anyways,, and this way you get more surface contact of the two nuts..bevel the second nut and brake kleen and green loc tite. them
hell of a lot cheaper than the main shaft upgrade, lot cheaper than any other fix out there. they say its just a matter of time with the stock shaft but it worked for me twice and 5 other people i have heard of...

#2 ·
And you keep posting this because????????? There are lots of home brew 5th gear fixes, yours isn't anything special.

#3 ·
Mr. Ames, that is not nice, maybe he is proud of his solution and likes to share. Better than some who say nothing while filling pages with bs. I don't discourage people that have information to offer.

Reactions: coalroll4power
#4 ·
Mr. Ames, that is not nice, maybe he is proud of his solution and likes to share.
Since he posted it more than once I see it as a disguised effort to sell something. Since I have been the proud owner of more than a dozen NV4500s I'm pretty educated on what fix really works on the 5th gear.

#5 ·
I understand what you are saying sir, however it is tough to sell someone something, when you explain the process you have used to make the fix lol. I was just busting your balls for being mean.

#7 ·
Lock nuts are good if there is not a lot of load against the nut. When a nut has a lot of load on it such as the first nut up against the gear then another nut pushing on the first nut only takes load off of the threads on the first nut making it a spacer, essentially, and transferring the load to the 2nd nut. The unbalanced load on the shaved nut will be transferred to the first nut, and then to the gear. Not saying it will fail though.

I think the best available fix out there is the nut retainer. A redesign should call for shrinking the gear on the shaft with heating and a press. The style of spline used on the gear and shaft is designed to take a torque load only. Never are any other gears used this way, it is a mistake. Unfortunately the one vendor that did offer a shaft replacement with a press fit gear no longer does and it was expensive, as it would be. Oh well. I rebuilt my own using the retainer but have not put the 80 - 100k miles on it yet to prove it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.