Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Torque Converter questions

892 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  95cumminsturbolag 
#1 ·
In my 97 12V if you get into the throttle a little it seems that the torque converter either slips or unlocks, the rpms jump up to 3500 or so and I have no power until I let off for a few seconds. I'm thinking the TC is bad, correct? If it is bad I want to just go ahead and but a good TC in there, however if I buy something like a Goerend Triple disc, do I need to build the rest of the transmission or no? Thanks guys I appreciate it.

#2 ·
Yes it does sound as if your TC is FRIED. Also I agree on the further transmission upgrades along with the new TC because you know stock dodge tannys.. there not the best. So if you have the extra money and already have the trans pulled out to replace the TC then yes do the upgrades so you have a dependable transmission that can handle what you need it to.

#4 ·
probably would not be a good idea to tear into a 47re if you dont have any auto trans experience, did a couple of them when i worked at a shop. having someone bench build the trans wouldn't be that expensive, the removal and installation is usually where all the money goes in a job like that.

At the least i would probably have the trans refreshed with new frictions/seals along with the trans-go shift kit assuming nothing else looks bad when you get into it. Seems like decent budget converters go for 400-600 dollars. probably another 400 for a the bench work and shift kit. do you have a trans temp gauge? would be wise to protect your investment if you end up doing the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.