Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Just Died On Highway

3K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  GAmes 
#1 ·
The beast died on 95 headed north, central Maine to deliver the dump body.
Got it towed to the destination and a great bunch of guys cleanly removed the aluminum dump off of my Chassis cab Ram.
So, while cogitating the dilemma we pulled the tank module to get a peek at the filter, easy since the bed was gone.
The filter was clogged with a grey/multicolored goo. Nasty stuff!!!! Cleaned and reinstalled.
Primed the fuel pump, the truck started and died.
Pretty sure the pump is bad.
P.O. told me he changed the filters.....not so sure, hmmmm.
Time to gather parts and go back at it or have it towed to a reputable shop.
The truck is safe for the time being.
$150 for an OReillys fuel pump? I do not think so.
Opinions please.

#2 ·
Since there isn't a filter in the tank you did little to get the truck fixed. The "goo" is probably algae, so it is though out the system. Cleaning the tank module basket is only part of the fix. You have to clean the prefilter, and replace the main filter. How do I remove algae from my diesel fuel tank? - Fuel System - Let's Truck There is probably nothing wrong with the pump.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, Likely

Once again, great advise.
Thanks.
The pump is at the center of it all though and if I go in there will likely clean house, keep it as a spare. The rubber primer cover is torn and needs replacement.
Noticed that the fuel heater is still there so that is going to go.
Time to install the fuel pressure gauge too.
How does algae get in there anyway. Is there anyways to prevent it?
Bugs are life and they are everywhere and tough.
Keeping the rig moving, using fuel and circulating the biocide.
One note about algae killers, they are poison, skin, lungs and eyes are portals into your system.

#24 · (Edited)
If you live near a marina look up BioBorJF it's the best out there!

The microbes grow in the interface between the fuel and water, so obviously buy fuel where there is a lot sold. Stay away from the mom and pop's unless they sell allot of fuel!

#5 ·
GAmes and Country Hick were spot on!!!
Thanks guys, you saved me a ton of trouble, time and money.
The filters were gooped up tight, cleaned up and it runs great...

#6 ·
I would add the biocide for your next few tanks of fuel. Also, carry spare filters just in case you get clogged up again. You may have more crap in your system that will clog up your new filters.

It is nice to know it was a simple and relatively cheap problem to solve.

#9 ·
Hey I am in Maine too!

I just had the very same thing happen last weekend--except in Lowell Mass--was unning fine suddenly fell on it's face stalled out

I did the same--replaced fuel filter first---got running again. I've got myself a fuel pressure gauge on now---because I wanted to see what was running for pressures and if I was getting any weird drops in pressure/supply that would explain loss of prime and stalled out beside road.

I have not yet tackled the tank module--- my garage suggested changing the OFV first because it's been on awhile and it's a heck of a lot easier to access than the tank.-----you've checked your tank, but might be good to think about the OFV as you proceed with yours

also FWIW my banjo on the filter was fine for the recent filter change/bleed, but today when I went to mess around checking pressures... the bleed screw stripped even though I did everything the same--so I think it was getting tired---- my point and 2 cents worth--- maybe get yourself a few spares of things like OFV, Banjo, bleeder, washers -if you are goingt o be doing some more checking it up---

#10 ·
Slow Progress

Added biocide to the tank and went for a local ride, expected trouble but had a nice ride.
Also, ordered extra fuel filters, a pre-filter kit, Tork overflow valve, fuel pump and rubber elbow Still mulling over the big buck$ gauges.
What is the banjo bolt you stripped?

#11 · (Edited)
I stripped the bleeder screw in the top of the fuel filter housing banjo, the one on the IP side of the filter. I just changed filter the other day, bled it all--and I am always carefully tightening these back up because I have seen the warnings about "don't over tighten strip"... Today had taken it out to put in a quick FP gauge...went to put the bleeder back in and it was all done spun round and round going knowhere. I have never changed it, never needed too, so perhaps it was just tired...I definitely didn't reef on it

I mention it because... if it leaks and isn't good you won;t start or run! And in my part of maine nobody has anything like it in stock. So, from now on I'll be keeping a spare on hand.

I should bite the bullet and tilt my bed pull my tank module see what I find...I doubt it will be good news.

BTW I just found out there is a diesel supply outfit in Bangor Maine-- called "Diesel Fuel Systems" 207 974 3084 ----- I do not know yet what their prices are like, but, they do keep in stock things like 12valve OFV and bleeder.

#13 ·
no it was the correct wrench, the head on it is fine, the copper washer appears worse for wear and the screw looked normal but was just spinning in the threads this time. It's the same one that's been on there forever and I didn't reef on it or do anything weird

#15 ·
ha yeah--- in this case I know I did have the correct size on it,-- That place in Bangor has the banjo bolt $18.15, the little bleed screw $7.07 mand it teeny copper washer. I mention it because it was kind of a PITA to find a source to replace them-- inexpensive, and if you get in a situation where may be bleeding priming / changing filters more often... potential for it to get iffy. The copper washer is probably most likelike to get iffy and probably can find at a hardware store. I think what I had very likely had been on the truck for 100,000+ maybe even original which would make it 280,000. I can see having a spare being handy as well if in case of roadside SNAFU and filter change, need to prime...drop anything something goes wrong...you're good to go with a spare

#16 ·
Get a fast or airdog they help a lot and takes no time to prime. Plus you have a water separate also

#18 ·
I spent 550 for my air dog with the complete kit and have had it over a year. . My friend had it for four years before he sold his truck and never a problem. Gets rid of the lines, stock filter, heater, and all. I also noticed about 2 mpg increase

#23 ·
I spent 550 for my air dog with the complete kit and have had it over a year.
Gee a whole year? What is that 10, maybe 12 thousand miles? There are numerous threads about FASS and Airdog failures. Few last for 100k miles. A stock mechanical pump averages 300k and costs less than 1/5th of the fancy electric. BTW, bragging that it increased you mpg by two makes your credibility suspect. In other words :BS:

#20 ·
Sat Unused Too Long

Lack of use and maybe I added old fuel.
Something caused the bloom.
But I have learned A LOT and the machine is running better.

In regards your earlier post.
For a hundred I got a spare fuel pump.
For another hundred, 9 fuel filters.
For less than 2 hundred, am Isspro electric fuel pressure gauge, new pre-filter and rubber elbow.
The point is old tech is very good and less expensive. Good luck to you.

Reactions: coalroll4power
#22 ·
Vender Response Time

Geno's Garage, DAP and Filter Barn had their products to me in 2 days after ordering.
Tork Tec in 3 days.
I always use the free or least expensive shipping.

Reactions: jkidd
#32 ·
yeah it ain't fun, I have done it that way few times because my fenders were dodgey and I was avoiding pulling the shield off and maybe then needing to deal with a bunch of rust I preferred to pretend wasn't there :party018: On a lucky day 10 pushes and you have fuel...squirting on your face chest/shirt...on a bad day you feel like you are dying and in need a new arm after pumping that thing 10million times and still NO FUEL.

I saw a pic in another thread someone took a wood broom handle and dremelled it out on the end to make a nice little cup on the end for the primer button to set into so it doesn't slip off. I haven't done that yet, it does slip off now and then but not too bad

I also got myself a extra pack of those plastic buttons that hold the wheel shield thing in place---so I can be real slick and organized and have it all back together properly NEXT TIME instead of driving around for weeks with it off trying to hunt up the right size, order them blah blah blah PITA

I don't mind this sort of thing much---what I mind is the family friends and neighbors who look aghast at your gnarly old truck with the wheel well exposed.... as if this was important? Wheel well plastic shmastic----they have no fekking idea what counts and don't count! My brother said recently my truck reminded him of the "Millennium Falcon" from Star Wars :rof tools floating around everywhere and 140 lb dog who OWNS the passenger seat for my Wookie sidekick:party018: Keepin it real folks!

#33 ·
I am a driver for a living and the ram is my dd/play toy. I do have a good job and am very fortunate for that and work very hard. I'm not trying to pass anyone off just trying to help and suggest what worked for me as a good set up so far . I did not like the aggression towards me due to my post all that needed to be said is not everyone can afford that. Not a rampage about them. .. I'm 27 and have been working since I was thirteen mowing lawns and working hard for everything I have incase they think I'm a spoiled punk kid. I Started Paying rent since the age of 17 when I graduated high school till I moved out two years ago. Yes I am proud of my work history as any true American should be... Also I'm slowly completing the American dream as I am a home owner

#34 ·
Life is Good

Stand up for yourself, yes.
Remember the two bulls talking on the hill? The young one says, 'Why don't we run down the hill and breed us a heifer.' The old one says, 'Why don't we walk down and breed 'em all.'
We get by with a little help from our friends..

Reactions: coalroll4power
#39 ·
:hehe: I read a good quote recently about placebo additives and aftermarket devices, perhaps you read it also. A fool sees what he believes, a wise man believes what he sees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.