Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Help about p7100 timing pin

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Dirtystacks 
#1 ·
Ok I have a serious problem I used the plastic timing pin on the side when I pulled my pump off. After putting back on I turned the motor over enough to break one of the plastic parts off the pin! What do I do ??? Is getting it out a must or is it plastic for a reason ? Thanks for your help in advance :S::doh::banghead:

#2 ·
From what I have read on the net they are plastic for a reason. However, I have also read a lot on the net that is blatantly false. I suggest you call a Bosch repair facility and ask the experts.

#3 ·
yes my plan on Monday is to call everyone and get advice. I didn't know if anyone had this happen and already got the true information. But I have read a lot that they say its plastic for a reason but I also don't have cash to buy a new pump if I trash this one lol

#4 ·
It's only plastic so it shouldn't be a problem. Not to say you should leave it though. I'd drain the oil and see if you can flush it out, other wise I wouldn't worry to much. When I took my engine apart I found 1 pin and a few of the oil cooling nozzles laying in the pan, who knows how long they were there with 250,000 on the engine.

#6 ·
That's a good question, I bought the engine from craigslist with 250,000 miles supposedly, and have no idea how it was ran, but when I stripped it down to rebuild it I was amazed at how clean and how little amount of wear there was in the bearings and cylinders, still not sure how the nozzles could've sheared off but I guess it's kinda common to find them in the pan. It was just the top part of the nozzle not the whole thing.

#7 ·
Nope, not common. If a nozzle breaks the cylinder it services is shot to hell in a short period of time. Cooling oil being sprayed on the bottom of the pistons is an integral part of a 6bt operation. I was assuming that was why you would tear an engine down with only 250k, because of a piston/cylinder failure.

#8 ·
Nope it still ran fine supposedly but I am just rebuilding everything I put in my truck for peace of mind and the exact condition was unknown. Even with the nozzle tip sheared off there still is the nozzle base that acts as an orifice to shoot oil up at the piston bottom, and I'm guessing Cummins made them out of plastic for that reason. I still can think of anything that would contact the nozzle to cut it off though.

#9 ·
I have disassembled three engines, one of them being mine with 800k miles on it. A '96, my '97 and a '98 53 block, none of them had sheared nozzles and all of them had well over 300k miles.

#10 ·
Yeah I hear ya, I don't know what causes them to shear the tip of but they still function with the tip gone because of the part that stays in under the mains. I don't what kind of life my motor had before I bought it but I was amazed how clean it was inside and the missing tips caused no damage. What kinda maintenance did you perform on your million mile truck. I would love for this one to last this long.

#11 ·
What kinda maintenance did you perform on your million mile truck. I would love for this one to last this long.
Fleetguard Stratapore oil filters. No Dodge, Wix, NAPA, etc. Fleetguard fuel filters. No snake oil additives in the fuel or oil. A very good air filter (AFE proguard 7), no K&N, no BHAF. Quality synthetic lubes in the gear boxes, synthetic oil in the engine in the winter. Minor problems fixed before they became major problems, including oil leaks. Constant reading of forums to know of potential problems like when my blue fusible link broke internally I knew exactly what the problem was. Investing in a paper book factory service manual instead of relying on faceless strangers or dubious free downloads. Not beating the truck to death. Easy Peezy.

#12 ·
Broken cooling nozzles are actually a fairly common thing to find in the pan. They get brittle with age. Depending on the condition of the internals and bearing clearances, usually there is enough oil pressure to still keep the pistons/cylinders happy. Its only the tips that break off. I always use billet aluminum replacements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.