Cummins Diesel Forum banner

banjo bolts ans washers

14K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  GAmes 
#1 ·
im ordering the adjustable ofv and the 14mm snubber(to install a fuel pressure guage) from tork tek, and it looks like they come with the banjo washers. i have some fuel seeping from the fittings on the top of my fuel filter housing, and i was wondering what i should buy to replace those bolts and washers? tork tek offers a 12mm high flow banjo bolt and also 12mm and 14mm washers, but i dont know what sizes i need or how many? is there any other banjo bolts and washers i can replace to avoid future leaks. im also going to replace the rubber return line hose behind the fuel filter while im in there.

thanks, otis

#2 ·
#3 ·
thank you for the post games, i have seen than you have a lot of helpful posts in many of the threads i have read. i feel that i do spend a lot of time here and other places searching, reading other posts, and trying to learn, before i ask a question.

in the thread you linked you said "The bleed bolt is 6mm, the banjo bolt gaskets on the filter head are 12 mm and the OFV is 14mm."

is the bleed bolt the one on the outlet of the filter housing, and does it take a washer?

the line that goes from lift pump into the filter housing has a return from the injector lines, what size are these washers?

the one banjo bolt on the filter housing has a plug in it, i assume this is the bleed screw for changing the filter, the other bolt has the injector return line on top. the high flow banjo bolts i have found do not have these ports, so where are they supposed to go?

is there any other banjo bolts/washers i should change to avoid future leaks?

#4 ·
The bleed bolt gasket is 6mm, the bolt head is 10mm. It is the one on top of the filter head line to the IP. I have reused mine more than 50 times. All the other gaskets on the filter head are 12mm, IIRC there are 4 of them. I don't have ay experience with "high flow" banjo bolts. The rubber coated washer/gaskets can be used multiple times. If you are removing the fuel inlet banjo bolt on the IP, I think those are 14mm, but not positive.

I suggest you start an account here. There are all kinds of pictures and part numbers to be had. https://qsol2.cummins.com/info/index.html

#5 ·
Fuel filter inlet/outlet are 12mm, one on top and bottom of each banjo bolt, total of 4
Injector pump inlet/OFV are 14mm, one on top and bottom of each banjo bolt, total of 4
bleed screw, not sure which size but don't remember a washer, been a while sinse I've had one though.
Injector return line on top of fuel filter inlet is 8mm, one on top and bottom of the banjo bolt, total of two.
All other connections use gasket maker like "permatex 2"

Reactions: otisd85
#6 · (Edited)
OP-- I have just ordered some spare 14mm and 12 mm washer/gaskets from Larry B's inexpensively, like $1 a piece. The other suppliers like Geno's have them too. They also have the stuff to replace entire banjo if you need it. I am also replacing OFV with Tork Tek, it comes with a set of washers (which I believe are the 14mm) ---I bought the fuel pressure check Kit from Larry B that includes a Tork Tek, and a fuel pressure quagew/ snuber + tapped hardware to go into that banjo on the filter housing which comes with 12mm washers I think--- it was a handy package deal for me to get started with working thru some fuel system??? I ordered an extra OEM OFV as a spare for $25 and the extra washers...in case I frig something up ;0)

I know the blled bolt on top of filter (banjo) fits 10mm socket. The nut on that bango fits a 11/16 socket--and I am pretty sure that's the 12 mm washer on that

Mine was weeping a bit of fuel after a recent filter change/ system prime/bleed. I Just gently tighten the bleed bolt and then it's nut---a little at a time if it would go some more (because I was afraid of damaging/stripping) That stopped my seeping and my truck starts/runs now---once I get my pressure gauge kit I can get better idea if maybe still have leaks whatever

Don't know if this helps you---but I throw it out here FWIW

BTW I haven't looked recently---but I *think* the free dowload of the repair manual you will find as a "sticky" at the top of the 94-28 powertrain forum---I think it has a exploaded diagram and specs / size info

#7 ·
Thanks for the tips, I have already tried snugging them down, but they are tight. I've also treys loosening and retightning, but that didn't help either. It's not a bad leak, just enough to keep the area wet when the truck is running.

Good mention of the free fsm, I already have it, and I guess I'll have to look for some diagrams.

#8 ·
I don't recall how the pricing compares to Geno and other suppliers but I just ordered the 14mm and 12mm washer/gaskets from Larry B and they were something like $1 a piece shipping from oregon/washington wherever they are to atlantic coast $7 and some change---I had other things I was buying so was worth it. I think what I recall of the screw/nut /banjo set up if you needed to replace it all, I wanna say I think I saw approx$30 somewhere---mine stopped seeping so I stopped worrying ;0)

#10 ·
thanks for all the info, ill be ordering the ofv, fp snubber, and new banjo washers soon. i got a email from tork tek this morning, the high flow banjo bolts are for the 24 valve, so they do not apply to us, sorry for any confusion on that.

#11 ·
It has been posted many times that the snubber is a waste of money and often leads to inaccurate readings on the gauge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.