Cummins Diesel Forum banner

What fuel pressure gauge to get?

14K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  GAmes 
#1 ·
#3 ·
#4 ·
It is entirely up to you, but I don't want a tube containing pressurized fuel in my cab. A tiny leak and before you can get pulled off the highway and close the needle valve you have it all over the inside of the truck. If you have ever made the mistake of stepping into a little fuel at the pump and getting it on the floor mat you have an idea of how bad the fumes are.

This is my choice. ISSPRO EV² R17211 Oil Pressure Gauge (0-100 PSI)-Geno's Garage

I bought a second pressure sender for oil, hooked both to a toggle switch and can monitor both. In retrospect I should have ordered two kits. The cost isn't much more and I would have a spare gauge.

Reactions: D-Rex
#5 · (Edited)
haha diesel bath-- yes I know how bad it can be--and it generally does end up someplace you can not pin point to remove or clean that stinks up everything for days on end

What is your opinion of the Glowshift gauge that uses electronic sensor--my guess would be matter of how trustworthy the sensor is and how long it lasts-- I found some for sale cheaper than the issipro

with the issipro oil sender--- is it a sensor in top of fuel filter and do you have to do anything to it to read correctly for fuel ? Or just idiot proof the cab dial with a post it note that says "fuel" LOL

#6 ·
Glowshifts have a louse reputation. A little search is all you need there. Isspro is made in the USA and, IMO, worth the cost. My boost and EGT gages have been in use for well over 900k miles, the fuel/oil pressure was installed about 100k ago.

#7 ·
I installed the sender in the plugged, un-regulated port on top of the filter. It reads real pressure, not stock gauge pressure. The toggle is mounted under the hood. Nothing special is needed for the fuel sender. The gauge says oil, but I normally monitor fuel pressure. The Isspro fuel pressure gauges don't go high enough. The oil side is for if the stock gauge goes to zero, I can easily determine if it's the gauge or if I really don't have oil pressure.

#8 · (Edited)
OK good to know--- I have a quicky test kit from Larry B on the way I can use to check things out beginning of the week--comes with a tork tek OFV, and the gauge screw into top of filter. I ordered extra 12 and 14 mm gaskets and a inexpensive OEM OFV so I've got a spares . If I want to run something permanent into the cab (which I think I will) I will get one of those issapro---sounds good to me. Thanks for the tip on that

I like that toggle switch to confirm or deny dash oil pressure too

#9 · (Edited)
hmmm-- yes I can see the appeal of the Issapro set up loud and clear today ;0( I got my quick kit from Larry B so I could look at my pressure and put on a new OFV compare everything--------well, out of the box everything seemed a no brainer....

I started by just screwing in the snubber and presuure gauge to the banjo on fuel filter housing. Carefully placed new washer, gently tightened, mindful not to over tighten

can not get rid of seeping fuel around where the gauge screw into snubber

that said I was idling at 18-20 which seems not so bad (I figured I'd see what my existing OFV was doing before putting in the new OFV and then compare yadyada)

When I rev it up to 2000rpms gauge reads 25, then if I raise to 2500+ rpms no change still pressure still 25, does not go any higher than 25 parked reving up.....but it also starts seeping fuel as I said where it screws into the snubber--- I don't know how much this effects the accuracy---truck is starting up fine not complaining

so THEN I thought, well, OK I got my quick read off it maybe I'll put the original banjo bolt back in with the bleed screw and not mess with this anymore till I find a way to stop the seep.........then everything went to hell, everything seemed to thred together fine, and I was carefull to tighten gently like I usually do.........Kilroy was here, my bleed screw or it's little washer somehow got totally F'd up and pissed / spray'd fuel everywhere! and stalled out --- after that it just spins if try to tighten

So now...so I can drive around and start the @#$$^ thing I've put the seepy snubber and gauge back on it
maybe I should start anothe rthread---but if you don't mind recommending where to get replacement banjo stuff and bleed bolt---it would be good to have a spare set even if I get myself a sensor/ gauge set before to long.

Did I miss a memo about something like lock-tite on the threads? of the quicky guage ???? I don't think I should tighten it any more...I just hav that feeling any more and something will f up/strip ---but maybe I am paranoid.

I am having the lousy feeling of---- I just broke something -trying to fix something that wasn't broke

#10 ·
OK- I just read thru some other threads-- Permatex #2 on the threads to stop this seep?

dump question: if I get a sensor gauge- Issipro-- still use the Permatex on thread connections? I have read Bills warning to not apply anything to the banjo/ snubbers etc. the washers are enough

#11 ·
The only place I have ever used permatex is on the hose fittings for my pressure sender. The washers should not be a problem.

#14 ·
As far as permatex goes, do what you gotta do. Just don't get it inside the fittings. Cummins' pressure specs are 17-22 psi at idle, 25-35 at 2500 rpm no load. Pressure should never drop below 15 psi under load for extended periods. You are at the bottom of the scale. Since you have a new OFV you might as well use it.

#15 ·
stand some more questions?

would you say it's pretty common to have to use some permatex on threads for stuff like these gauges stuck in a snubber? I'm just curious, I don't have a lot of experience, what I know I have learned from owning this truck. I had it tightened as much as felt wise, any tighter and I would really be reefing on it-suprised to see it seeping---and the original bleed bolt stripping when I was doing it my usual, pretty careful routine.... bad day for me turning wrenches

second question-- how low would you say pressure has to be to cause a total stall out loss of prime? Again I'm curious because of my breakdown last week, if my pressure is lowish but in spec--- still kinda chasing what caused a sudden loss of prime total stall in the middle of driving fine. Perhaps back to gunk in tank that has now improved with a new filter on ...till it strikes again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.