Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Converter unlocking under load

922 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  country_hick 
#1 ·
Ok....I have a 96 cummins 2wd auto. The only mods are that the factory fuel plate has been moved forward. I have installed a tps fooler(potentiometer) I had installed the noise filter and dealt with the brake switch. After 10,000 miles on a stock rebuild when pulling a load or even hard acceleration after lockup the converter will unlock. Back out of the throttle and locks back up and continues on no problem. Is this a converter issue? Also trans gauge has never read higher than 150. Probe is mounted in aluminum trans pan. Help! Thanks in advance.

1996 dodge cummins. Air dog raptor 100. Stock fuel plate advanced and fav housing adv.

#2 ·
You said you installed a tps fooler. I've never herd of that. But I have had the same problem you were having and a brand new tps fixed the problem.

#3 ·
transmission

This is only what I read many years ago the transmission temp after it gets to the pan may not be real accurate I read where the temps out of the transmission to the cooler line tells lets you know when the temps are getting out of control. Don't remember the details for what its worth . IS the converter slipping or unlocking at full throttle.

#4 ·
The converter feels like it is unlocking. I was assuming the engine was overcoming the lockup pressure. Thinking of installing a performance valve body for more pressure. Mate a lockup switch to see if it is electrical or not.

1996 dodge cummins. Air dog raptor 100. Stock fuel plate advanced and fav housing adv.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.