Cummins Diesel Forum banner

V10 to diesel conversion advice

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bootstrap 
#1 ·
I have a buddy who has a 99v10 with a knock. He has babied it since day one, only like 75k on the clock. We were talking and I was telling him how the v10 is a turd ( did I mention 7.5 mpg?) and we should drop a cummins in there. I know it's some work but he doesn't want to dump thetruck as he won't get beans for it even if it was in tip top shape. He drove mine and couldn't believe the difference!

Now for the donor... Friend of a friend has a 99 24v that had some wiring catch on fire in the cab on pass side. Can get whole truck for about 2500. Should we jump on it or hold out for a 12v? Any idea if it would be plug and play? Would probably swap trans, engine , PCM , whole nine yards.

#2 ·
I transplanted my 96 12v into a 98 v10. With two complete trucks it isn't terrible, worst part is wiring unless you can find a complete harness. Mine is still a frankensteined v10 harness with 12v sensors held on with wirenuts a year later. I was fortunate enough to find a 98 12v PCM at least so I didn't have to swap the dash. I would imagine a 24v would be easy enough if you get the PCM and could find a complete harness.

I used the auto from the v10, just swapped the converter. There were a few odds and ends that we used from the 12v that I don't recall off the top of my head, but with two complete trucks it's not hard to see what you need to swap over.

#3 ·
What are the specs on the trucks? auto/manual? 2wd/4wd? If your freind would be happy with the 24 valve, It would probably be the simplest swap.

#4 ·
I did the same swap piece of cake. I had a 94 12 valve I put in a 96 v-10 truck. the harnesses plug in is right by the e-brake. plug and play. change the pcm and misc stuff. the wiring harness also has headlights, turn signals, wiper motor wiring, abs and assorted junk like that. While my engine and trans were out I did a rebuild on both it is much easier that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.