Cummins Diesel Forum banner

95 Fuel Solenoid Issue...

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Robby Jennings 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone....This is Rob Sr. Junior put a post in the non-powertrain section about this issue and your comments have been very helpful.....

Long story short: Issues with the Fuel Soleniod not popping up when starting....Have replaced the blue 20 amp fuse in control panel, the relay on firewall, and the solenoid. Still no start. Used voltmeter and checked the voltage at the solenoid connection. 13+ volts on the red and white wires (13v on the white when I roll the key to start). Not sure about the amps...got dark on us last night. I would suspect amps need to be in the 50-60 range based on the relay size.

What next?

#2 ·
Can you post a picture of the fss attached to the pump? From what I understood in the other thread, it may not be properly adjusted or attached, not calling anyone incapable, just wanting to see.

Reactions: Robby Jennings
#4 ·
If it's adjusted to short it will start and die again once you stop cranking. You can try removing the fss from the truck completely, and see if it goes up when not attached. While it's off, try starting the truck, it should start normal but just not turn off without getting out and pushing the FSS lever down.

#6 ·
Its a mechanical pump, I say lets deal with mechanical issues first, just me.....

#9 ·
I don't know that this is of any use to your situation - but, I have had the experience when I had a fuel issue and did a lot of cranking to get restarted--- draining down the battery quite a bit--- that when my battery was lower, like still able to crank but no longer it's full charge or pep---my FSS did not go off-run positions well or reliably. Once I charged batteries back to full charge it was moving between off-run as it is supposed to.

Just a thought-- make sure you've got a good charge on the batteries ?

#11 ·
I don't know if you've already checked out the Larry B's site---but this link has a good description of the interaction between starter and FSS--- apparently iffyness with the starter can cause iffyness with FSS---anyway, thought it might be of assistence to you as well in the process of elimination ;0)

Larryb - Dodge Fuel Solenoids - Dodge Fuel System parts - Dodge Diesel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.