Cummins Diesel Forum banner

ESS help!

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  12VEG 
#1 ·
I've had an intermittent tach now for a while, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Right now it's jumping from the bottom up to like 800 every two seconds, gen and other lights come on for a split second and repeat. Not charging the batteries because of it, replaced the wiring harness at the end of the ESS because I'd determined it to be faulty, but has turned out not to be the problem.

My main question is can I jump two of the harness wires together to fool the alternator into charging? Gonna order a new one soon here. Gap is correct, just recently reset it. Harm balancer is failing (rubber pushing out of front and back) so I'm thinking that could be the issue?

Don't know, but need my batteries to charge badly. Thank you.

#2 ·
Reactions: 12VEG
#3 ·
I think that's probably what is happening (grounding out). So the ext. voltage regulator makes the alternator charging independent of the ESS/CPS sensor signal? Been meaning to do the external regulator for a while, now it's top of the list. Thank you.

#4 ·
If the tach and alternator are intermittent I suggest you find out why because it also affects cruise control and automatic transmissions.

#5 ·
Sorry the video's so bad but I think you can see what it's doing:

This morn when I wrote the post it was doing it really badly, I've been driving all day and it had finally stopped. Think it's worse when it's cold.

#6 ·
If your damper is coming apart that could be a possibility also, although I can't recall anyone posting something like that. I'm guessing here, but perhaps it isn't maintaining a good clearance. Have your measured it on several different points of rotation?

#7 ·
I haven't yet. It seems that I can see some wobble in it when I look at it while running, I can't tell if I'm just wanting to see it and seeing it, or if it's actually happening. It needs replacing either way, but I'm not jumping out of my skin to drop $500 right now on a new one.

I'm gonna have to pull the sensor out ASAP and check all the wiring, and probably do the ext. reg. too while my nose is buried in there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.