Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transfer case wont shift

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  coalroll4power 
#1 ·
I've got a 94 with a nv4500. There isn't a tag on the transfer case that I could see. But it worked fine, then it wouldn't go into 4 high. It would engage if i held the shifter but it wouldn't stay. I had to recently replace the countershaft in the trans, now i'm moving on to the transfer case. I can't find much on what to do or what could cause the problem. I found a great write up on rebuilding the trans on here but can't find much on the transfer case. Any help would be appriciated as i need my truck.

#3 ·
Is your linkage correctly adjusted? I had a similar problem where I had to hold the lever in position to engage and stay in 4WD, the linkage had loosened up and gone out of adjustment.

#4 ·
^^^ what he said plus there is a detent spring and ball that might be broken. it is under what looks to be a drain plug but is not.

#7 ·
Update....the synchro ring was seized. On a good note looks like everything is brand new inside. Thanks for the help.

#8 ·
for future reference also if you have to hold it into gear on the tcase it could always be the shift forks inside the t case. they are pretty easy to do if your inclined and can read a book or the service manual. i had to do the shift forks on two of my friends trucks.. its a common problem with these np241 becouse they use nylon spacers inside of them on the forks and they slip then your medal on medal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.