Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Mystery clank sound from front??

943 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  atasirudy 
#1 ·
I have a clank sound that comes often on right hand turns at slow speed, its got me stumped, I can feel it slightly on my left foot on the floorboard. The truck has new Ball joints both sides uppers and lowers, new track bar, all new tie rod ends, and sway bar end links.
I have snugged up the cab mount bushings, nothing looks worn out and I cant get any play out of them, I have also tried getting movement out of the control arm bushings both on the ground and truck jacked up by the frame so suspension is hanging, still cant seem to find anything obvious, oh and I cant get any play out of the u joints either.
Anybody have this happen or have any other ideas? maybe there is a better way to check the cab mounts or control arm bushings than how im doing it. It sure is driving me nuts though :banghead: any advise is appreciated.

#2 ·
oh ya and I have a new driver side wheel bearing too.

#4 ·
Could be the steering shaft or a worn/broken shock absorber.

#5 ·
The steering input shaft coming from the steering column? That crossed my mind but all I can see is the joint in it, kind of like a u-joint, and it looks and feels tight. Is there somewhere else it can be loose or broken? When having someone turn the steering back and forth I can see that the rotation in the steering input shaft is directly moving the pitman arm coming out of the steering box, so I'm thinking it's fine unless I'm missing something.

A broken shock I hadn't suspected as I didn't think it would cause wander/darting.

#6 ·
You have probably got a few things going on that are combining to cause the wander. Contributing factors could include:

Ball joints
Tie rods
Track bar
Steering box
Steering shaft
Steering column
Frame flex
Wheel bearings
Control arms
Sway bar
Improper alignment

#8 ·
mine doesn't have any wonder in it at all it drives tight and straight. also shocks are not very old and have no play. im leaning more and more towards a control arm bushing maybe its tight enough I cant get any play out of it by hand, I suppose ill take it out and give it further inspection.

#9 ·
Have you inspected the attachment point for the steering box on the frame? Sometimes the frame can crack right there due to the high pressures put on the box during turning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.