Cummins Diesel Forum banner

95 12v won't start...

2K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  deldiesel96 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 95 12 v and it has me seriously puzzled I started it up the other day to take to the pulls started up drove and ran fine drove it on trailer hauled it to the pull started up and backed off trailer fine come back to take truck to registration.... And it just cranks won't start.. Held the lever forward connected to the solenoid there is fuel in the fuel filer some boom boom juice in the air cleaner tube starts up shuts off. If anyone can help that would greatly appreciated thank you.

#2 ·
Crack open the injector lines at the injector pump and the injectors themselves. If it's good fuel should squirt out while someone cranks it over. Do this and report back

#3 ·
Tried that and its hard to watch it while trying to prime it as well but it doesn't seem to shoot out more like seep out but I figured that's because its just cranking and not running. And I noticed that when I would crack em it would make almost like a hissing relief of pressure type of sound. And some fuel and bubbles would come out.

#5 · (Edited)
My truck is just stock (with rubber Triton lines whoopdedoo ;0) But I am I think in exact same situation.

I had this happen couple years ago and what fixed it was new fuel filter, properly bled lines, and shut off solenoid was acting up---some times it was going to run and staying there and sometimes it was not. Turning key on and getting out and popping it into run position by hand got me thru and started.

Jump ahead to this weekend, running fine, stuck in traffic on 495 near Lowell Mass for like... 3 hrs ....everything idling fine, tempertures fine--- nothing funky. Finally got off at my exit, cruising along smoothly.... slugg blub blub stalled out starved for fuel.

I have now repeated the procedure new filter, prime/bleed, check solenoid for correct position.

Unfortunately I discovered tow driver left key in On and ran both batteries down-- charged them over night will try to get mine started again today (fingers crossed)

In my case I am kind of wondering if the tank unit is all cruddy, or falling apart, messed up draw straw---because my fuel gauge did go haywire as I came to a stop beside the road (and yes I had plenty fuel on) I am wondering if the float in there is all shot to hell suddenly whacky other parts of the unit may be toast as well.

* also I remember in my case, this weekend breakdown, I had just gone over a big bump in the road slightly uphill---trouble started, then road went down hill and it seemed to maybe going to keep running....then stalled out. Made me wonder about crap in my tank---and I mention because it made me wonder about yours since you were fine untill after off loading from your trailer--- just a thought ---having no go really SUCKS

#6 ·
Right and that's why I'm priming it as its being cranked cause figured maybe a bad filter changed and still doing same thing the fuel gauge is accurate cause I have ran it low low before even though it does the 12v fuel gauge shuffle I still know how to judge it and it be accurate there is fuel in it just has me puzzled ran fine then dead. Just thought maybe it was scared to pull that day and would start up after it was over but it didn't so I know I have an actual problem here lol. Any way of knowing lift pump or injection are bad?

#7 ·
Lift pump will tick way before it goes out generally.

#8 ·
question about that: with these 12v mechanical non electric lift pumps--- if we are able to pump the fuel thru with the manual primer button---does that mean that lift pump is probably OK or could it still be bad enough to stop starting/running?

#10 ·
Yes the solenoid goes up and down and pushes the lever on the side of the pump forward towards radiator is on and back towards cab is off just like when you put a cable on off on it pushes in and out to turn it on and off. Now could that lever fail on the inside of the injection pump and cause it not to start? And no the truck did not lack in performance at all ran great then it just wouldn't re fire to take and get teched to pull

#11 ·
Yes the solenoid goes up and down and pushes the lever on the side of the pump forward towards radiator is on and back towards cab is off......l
You must have a special pump. No P7100 I have seen has a fore and aft lever to shut off the fuel. Mine goes up & down with the FSS.:confused013:

#12 ·
The solenoid goes up and down and moves the pivot attached to the arm forward and back have someone work your key and watch.

#13 ·
1) Don't ever use starting fluid on a diesel unless dealing with cracked pistons is your idea of a nice time.

2) However you want to describe it, the run position of the FSS shaft is the position most counterclockwise, looking at it from the driver's side fender. And yes, the FSS linkage can get discombobulated or improperly adjusted and cause issues. I don't remember the specifics but I did read a thread about it a while ago.

3) It sounds to me like your truck just lost prime. Check for air leaks between the tank and lift pump. If you haven't deleted the fuel heater, I would recommend that. Search for Joe G's fuel system write up for some extremely useful information.

#14 ·
well I got mine running--- may be totally different circumstances from OP-- but FWIW :

1. took me longer to pump/prime than when I have done it before
2.) now that it's running my shutoff solenoid *seems* to be working properly BUT when I was cranking away at it it was not, I had to get out and put it the run position to be sure
3.) I had to gently tighten my bleeder down a couple times to stop seeping fuel out (this may be because I'm a nervous nelly and was afraid I'd strip/frig up the seal etc)
4. I did it by the book, crank 30 secs at a time (apprx.) And I resisted the urge to mash the pedal, just gave a light touch on the pedal since IF tank unit is iffy they seem to typically act up worse when you call for a lot of fuel hammer down.
5. It took 4-5 30sec attempts with light pedal and then vrooom vrooom was idling and reving up normal/smooth

I haven't tried my on the road, but revving up in driveway so far seems to be all better

Hope you get yours going!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.