Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Transmission interchange?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  natecr 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 4x4 NV4500 for my sig trucks p pump cummins swap. I read that a light duty NV4500 was used for the small block gasser engines on the second gens and the heavy duty version was used for the Cummins and the V10. Does this mean the 5 speed from a V10 will work and bolt up on a cummins without modification? Or is there a difference between them? I ask this because I found a 95 Dodge with a V10, manual transfer case, and a 5 speed on the floor being parted out. I also found a 2wd 96 3/4 ton with a complete 12 valve being parted out but the NV4500 is gone.

Thanks

#3 ·
The input shaft size is dependent on the clutch plate you use. If you are doing high HP I recommend you research the larger input shaft that is available. The V10 assy should fill your needs.

#4 ·
heavy duty version was used for the Cummins and the V10. Does this mean the 5 speed from a V10 will work and bolt up on a cummins without modification?
Thanks
That is correct. V10 and Diesel NV4500HD's are identical. There are differences such as up to 1997 the speedo read off a sensor on the tail housing(2wd only), then they came out with a newer style shift cover. I run the old style cover just fine.
FWIW, dont bother with a light duty NV4500. Cost and labor to swap out the input and output shafts to the heavy duty ones would only be worth it if you got the tranny for free.

#7 ·
FWIW, dont bother with a light duty NV4500. Cost and:buttkick: labor to swap out the input and output shafts to the heavy duty ones would only be worth it if you got the tranny for free.
Don't let a regular 4500 scare you, the input and output are easily changed and everything else is the same inside the tranny. I have a couple on my bench I'm converting over for short money and its really easy to yourself.

#6 ·
Im running a v10 nv4500 Everything is identical even the clutch.. Only part i bought was a flywheel.. I used the v10 clutch cause it was brand new. They are more rare then diesel nv4500 but if you get lucky they may not know what they have cause its a gasser.. I got mine with 150k on it both drive shaft transfer case clutch pedel/hydraulics shifter books, steering column... Down to the o/d delete plastic, everything! And extras for 1450$

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.