Cummins Diesel Forum banner

cat does more then muffler?

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  atasirudy 
#1 ·
i recently put a catalytic converter that came with my truck on to pass emissions and i noticed that it made it even quieter then a muffler does. is it supposed to make it that quiet or is my cat clogged up?

#2 ·
If it was plugged up it would make your truck sluggish on acceleration. If you can get to it, try shining a flash light through the cat media, if it's plugged, little to no light should come through, if it's not plugged, quite a bit of light should shine through.

#3 ·
A muffler can have less surface area compared to a cat. It has been noted that a cat quiets a car or truck a lot.

#5 ·
For the 15 millionth time, its a resonator and it was installed from the factory to curb highway drone. Some states require factory exhaust to be untampered with.

#9 ·
I have cut up 4 stock exhausts on trucks I have bought. All 94-97 and none of the "Cat's" had any media or sensors running to them, they were all big empty chambers. Now tell me, does that sound like a catalytic converter or a resonator?

#10 · (Edited)
Sound like they weren't factory or had the media removed - or perhaps replaced with a 24v model. This was a common modification as it has the biggest impact on EGTs. I did that myself many years ago on my 49 state 1996 model.

They never had sensors from the factory.

The cats when away in 98.5 with the 24v. I think it came back with the 3rd gen, but this I'm not positive about.

I've heard that early 94s didn't have a cat - had a test pipe in its place. Not something you'd refer to as a resonator, so not likely to be what you saw on your four trucks.

If you've got an open mind, I can post a picture of the one in my garage.

On edit:
http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/epa_changes.htm

and here is a dataplate from a 12V with a catalyst number:

#11 ·
The early cats on gas engines were just a housing with pellets inside. They had no air tubes or wires. Do not confuse how a cat is made today with how it was made many years ago.

#15 ·
I just took out my whatever its called putting in a 4" . It had the vin # on a tag attached just like a cat, rural county so no emmisons ,went out to the road for the scrapers i thought it wasnt supposed to be a cat but now I'm wondering if it was worth something other than scarp metal. You could not see through it.

#16 ·
I'm wondering if it was worth something other than scarp metal.
Every now and then there is a post where a member needs one because his area has fallen under emissions testing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.