Cummins Diesel Forum banner

96 extended cab 4x4 burning 1 quart oil

1K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Dude20063 
#1 ·
This 96 cummins with 325k miles burns 1 quart of oil every oil change is this normal and would buying a truck like this scare you guy did come down to 4500 and it does have a suncoast transmission and a few mods + it needs body work aka rust not bad tho

#3 ·
I didn't look at it yet cause its far he said it doesn't leak just that every oil change intervals it burns a quart of oil and I guess there's no blow by and it passes a compression test how do you check blow by?

#4 ·
If it honestly is using only a qt of oil every 3000 miles it is as good as they get. If that is your only worry jump on it.

#5 ·
Well I just like to have second opinions specially from people that are more experienced with these trucks then I am its a bit rusty around the edges but i can fix that I just dont want to rebuild the engine cause I need a daily driver

#8 ·
If you drive it 15,000 miles a year the engine will not need a rebuild in 20 years if you take care of it. It is the uneducated that use less than adequate air filters, cheap oil filters, dump weird stuff into the fuel tank and let minor problems become major problems that have to rebuild their engines before 600k.

#9 ·
Well I just found out that the truck does seep a little pan valve covers front cover no puddles and he's a certified ase and Chrysler diesel tech

#10 ·
Well I just found out that the truck does seep a little pan valve covers front cover no puddles and he's a certified ase and Chrysler diesel tech
Don't let that be a deciding factor, just a piece of paper. Plenty of "certified" techs don't know there elbow from their ..well you know.

I wouldn't be surprised if most of the loss was from leaks.

What part of the country you in? Might be able to haggle that down a little more considering the mileage and body condition..is it just rust or is it rotted through?

#16 ·
That's a lot of rot showing, how much is hidden? What do the floors under the truck look like? If they are in good shape it might be worth it. Even in the rust belt, that seems a little high of a price for the mileage and condition. I'd be looking at closer to $3000/$3500 range, personally.

#18 ·
Haha I agree well Im just going to save up a little more money people on the classifieds want there truck weight in gold what do they think my pocket is fort knocks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.