Cummins Diesel Forum banner

When started cold, then put in gear engine dies

4K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  sincityvogel 
#1 ·
I had my transmission rebuilt this week. It is highly modified with a long list of non-stock parts, including a billet main shaft and modified valve body. The torque converter is a triple disk bolted to a billet flex plate. So far, it works great. I have only put about 100 miles on it.

My engine idles just a hair (red one) below the line for 700 RPM with the A/C on and in gear. With my new tranny, with the first start of the day (cold engine - 70 degree day) the engine starts as it always has. If I do not allow the engine and tranny to warm up, and I put it in gear without increasing the idle it will kill the engine.

After everything is warmed up, all works fine. I have to hold the brake when in gear at a stop.

Any thoughts?

Wayne

#2 ·
For one it sounds like your idle could be higher, I believe it's suposed to be 750 with the AC on and in gear. But besides that, welcome to the 12 valve club. I will say, my 97 auto (298k) idles pretty weak, my brothers 97 manual (282k) idles much better, but my 96 manual (228k) is a stinking beast it idle. In my case the only thing that I can think of that would cause a weaker/stronger idle is the gov springs, but all the trucks I mentioned still have stock ones in.... So IDK

#3 ·
My truck does the same thing. I just use one foot on the brake and one on the throttle to keep it running. Usually with in a mile or my 2nd or third stop its fine.

#5 ·
What's your fuel pressure? Could be an OFV going out as well. A cheap and easy fix.

#8 ·
My stalls when its hot and i put it in reverse then step on the gas. I have to let it idle while in reverse for a second or two, then ease on the gas.:confused013:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.