Cummins Diesel Forum banner

197 12v auto trans...truck won't move

803 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Smokinhumboldt 
#1 ·
I just bought a 97 with an Auto. Kindof a weird Issue. The guy I bought it from said the truck (trans?) had been kind of 'chattering' for a while. Then one day he was backing up a very steep hill to hook up his 5th wheel and all the sudden the truck wouldn't move. I bought it last night and checked it out slightly. was parked on steep hill still. Start the truck, runs great. Put it in Reverse or drive, or 1 st and the rpm drop like its in gear, but when you try to accelerate the truck just won't move, put it in 4hi and 4lo to see if any differance.. nothing really. Curious of any ideas? I already read the sticky. Just curious if anybody has any other thoughts. Greatly appreciated! Solenoids? TPS? TV adjustment? or trans smoked?

#2 ·
I had that experience once. Went to the store, did my shopping, came out to leave, and nothing forward or reverse, the transmission was smoked.

If the guy did quite a lot in reverse gear, the tranny gets hot in a hurry. Too long in reverse could smoke the tranny.

Wayne

#6 ·
I had the SAME issue.

I didn't want to post check the fluid level because I didn't wanna sound insulting.

When I first picked up my 12 valve it had a bad trans leak. When you would first start it and the fluids were getting to circulating it would hardly move.

I also noticed when I would be at stop lights if I took my foot off the break it would hardly move. That's WAY outta character because the trucks wants to lurch off the stop light. haha

I'm glad you have it repaired!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.