Cummins Diesel Forum banner

fuel pressure

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GAmes 
#1 ·
I have THE TORK TEK®CUMMINS ADJUSTABLE OVERFLOW VALVE . The instructions say "Set the fuel pressure to OEM specs. 17 to 22 PSI at idle. Our valve typically idles at 25 to 26 PSI. Pressure at 2500 NO LOAD RPM is 29 to 32 PSI."

My pressure is set at about 20-22 PSI idle and 30-32 PSI @ 2200 no load RPM. What would be the consequences of having the fuel pressure too high?

Wayne

#3 ·
I was not concerned with it being too high, but wondering what would be the consequences of having the fuel pressure too high. For example 40 PSI.

#4 ·
Remember that the OFV restricts fuel flow past the valve. Higher pressure means a higher restriction. If fuel flow to the injectors is restricted it seems to me that performance could suffer.

#5 ·
The 160/175 pumps blossom performance wise between 45 and 50 psi, above 60 you are looking at seals and barrels leaking. You are definitely in the safe zone,

#6 ·
Mine is "set" at 45 psi. I say "set" because it moves all over the place from low 30s to low 50s depending on load, but mid 40s is where it sits most of the time.

There's a noticeable difference in power on my truck between stock and where I set it. Couldn't say how much, but it's there. The 160/175 pumps benefit from higher pressure because of the shape of the cam in the bottom of the pump that drives the plungers.

I have no personal experience how high you can run pressure before it becomes a problem, I hear 60 a lot as atasirudy mentioned. But, if anything were to happen it would be barrel seals starting to leak externally. And no, I don't know if it would be the kind of thing where you could turn the pressure back down and it would quit or if you'd have to take the pump off and have the seals replaced.

GAmes, the restriction in the OFV is preventing fuel from getting away from the injectors (plungers really). Or were you making a different point?

#7 ·
No, I typed without engaging the brain fully. Disregard my dumb statement please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.