Cummins Diesel Forum banner

EGT's and Lack Of Smoke

888 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  dauntless89 
#1 ·
I put factory 215 injectors in my 160hp ppump a few months back. 4kgov. springs, 60lb. valve springs, no plate (previous owner took it out). Factory hx35. Previous to my injectors it would run 1200* 42psi 3/4 gear converter locked. Now it runs upwards of 1400* creeping to 1500* @ 37/38 psi. Once my turbo is spooled above 10psi I have zero smoke. Even at 38psi. no haze no smoke. Think everything is safe? Or am I going to HAVE to add a plate to limit the EGTs at high rpms?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
i have a #10 fuel plate in my truck and my egt's max at 1600. with the mods i have when i floor my truck from a stop with out spooling up it will dump black smoke until its spooled above 15psi. and then it will just haze. so unless you see a further more decrease in performance you should be okay with out smoking. but i highly suggest to get a fuel plate for the truck because that will lead to more problems. have you done any tuning to your afc?

#3 ·
also believe it or not weather has a big difference is a diesels performance. in the winter my truck will run 55psi and in the summer it will only run about 50. also for the egt's in the winter it will run about 1500* max and 1600* max in the summer. and turbo spool time is a lot slower in the summer too according to what your turbo size is. not so much for you because your running a stock hx35y turbo. not trying to get off topic but just trying to give you an idea aha

#4 ·
I havent played with the AFC yet. Previous owner definatley did. I wonder if i move the star wheel 1 or 2 clicks back it will help with egt at the top end.
I'd much rather just put a he351 on it but I CANNOT find one locally for a reasonable price.

#6 ·
I havent played with the AFC yet. Previous owner definatley did. I wonder if i move the star wheel 1 or 2 clicks back it will help with egt at the top end.
Someday we'll get past the idea that individual clicks are a useful increment in tuning the star wheel.

Tighten the starwheel in increments of fractions of a turn. 1/4 turn, 1/8 turn, something like that.

Better yet, pull the AFC off and use regulated air pressure to show when boost fueling begins and when it's fully applied. I like mine best when boost fueling starts around 5 psi and is fully applied a few psi below your max boost. You will likely need to experiment with different springs to get one that really suits your fueling needs.

#5 ·
i agree. with the fueling mods you have i think it would be best to go a little bigger on the turbo but defiantly pull the arc off and give it a little tuning with the star wheel and smoke screw and you'll have it running the way you expect

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.