Cummins Diesel Forum banner

P-Pump died, need to sell truck...?

2K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  95cummins120 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I need your opinion on a pretty upsetting manner.

I have a 1996 2500, automatic tranny and 2wd. I bought it for working (pulling trailers) and it's served me well, but today i got the news that my pump has cracked and is in need of a replacement. I don't really want to throw $2000 at this truck right now, so I am looking to sell it.

It's got a pacbrake setup, AFE intake horn, BD Diesel CAI, a BD low-stall torque converter as well. Interior is in perfect shape save for a rip in the drivers seat. Truck itself is in really great condition as well, although the bed could use a little work.

Thoughts?

#2 ·
DONT SELL. you can easily find a p7100 injection pump USED for $300-$600. don't sell it. you have a nice set up. look at your local junk yard for a cummins and see what the owner wants for one there or even craigslist sells them if you look in the right spots. YOULL FIND ONE. don't sell it man

#3 ·
Brotha, believe me I really, really don't want to. But even if i found a pump locally, there's no way im getting out of this ordeal for less than a grand. And I need to save every dime i'm making for a van for my band's tour next summer.

It's killing me, but I don't know if I can justify this cost...

#4 ·
So, you can replace it for work for less than a grand? :confused013: Pump is cracked? Never heard of that before.

#6 ·
JUST rolled over 190,xxx but it has had the 4.10 gears in the rear for a little while. Is probably closer to 180,xxx. I have the original gears as well.

GAmes: Yeah, ive never seen it before either. The pump itself is pretty seriously messed.

As somebody who is very near to leaving the cummins game, thanks to everybody on this forum who's made this truck such a blast. I'll miss her dearly

#10 ·
So I've been researching for the past few hours and I was wondering, for the fellas who've pulled their pumps, just how hard is it? It seems that if you follow the steps and are careful, it's not impossible. It's daunting, but not impossible.

Even if I DO have to sell the truck for a tour vehicle, it would seem to stand to reason that a fully functional, even slightly improved truck would sell for more than a truck that needs a new pump. I guess what i'm saying is, as a buyer, if I saw that a truck had a value of, let's say $10,000 (not my truck, just a nice number) and the pump was shot and the replacement would cost $1000, I'd like to pick the truck up for around $8000. Am I correct in thinking that its better to sell a fully functional truck?

#14 ·
Your post count is 49. One more and you can get to the classified section. There is sometimes pumps on there. If you take your time, you can replace the pump yourself. Even if it doesnt work out for you (you mess a step, get off on timing, etc), you can sell the truck for more than you can now to someone who knows how to get it right.

#12 ·
Fix the truck and get a camper or something to tow behind it instead of a van, rename your band Rock&Rollin' Coal and you'll be all set..:party018:

#13 ·
I hate to say it, but in reality, the only thing that makes your truck worth more than $500-$1000 is the engine. A 2wd auto gas truck in perfect condition will not fetch much more than $1000-$2000 with today's fuel prices. It makes far more sense to try find an affordable way to fix your truck.

As for doing the work yourself, I know it looks like there is a lot going on, but it's really just nuts and bolts. If you don't have a service manual, most procedures have been documented on the web, so a google search should bring up some results. I did my kdp using pics and instructions found online. I figured there was a lot to remove to get to the kdp, and there is, but it's just one bolt after the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.