Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Can someone describe Auto trans 'slipping'

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  OverIt 
#1 ·
Like it says, can someone explain auto trans slipping? Describe what it feels like/what the symptoms are?

I read all these posts about failing transmissions and it makes me feel like mine is but then everyone I know says my tranny is fine?

Just trying to get an idea of what 'bad' signs really are.

Thanks

#9 ·
First of all thank you guys for the info.

Second, I was under the impression that solid shifts were a good thing?

Does it seem/sound strange that my auto tends to starts shifting 'harder' once it has warmed up (been driving with load for a period of time)?

#3 ·
Or you step on the throttle and it takes forever to move forward.

#6 ·
Only if it is out of adjustment and then only for 2nd gear.

Describe the slippage you are feeling.

A stock converter is so loose it is hard to know if there is clutch slippage unless it is in lock up. And even then it might be the converter clutch!

#5 ·
So when your truck locks into overdrive and you lay into it but your rpms rise quick and you go nowhere . That's the best way I can explain it

#7 ·
I think a bad torque converter is frequently the blame for a bad transmission. I picked my truck up from the transmission rebuild shop this week. When the transmission was disassembled, it was found to be in good shape. I haven't had the converter opened up yet.

The symptoms were as someone suggested already, pedal to the medal in gear, the RPM would go up while the truck speed slowly increased. The tranny fluid temp (from line) after the fluid left the converter would climb rapidly, and the tranny would run hotter than usual.

Long story as to why a stock rebuild tranny and converter was in my truck, but it was just under three years old. I can say it made a believer out of me that a stock tranny, constantly hauling a 4200 pound TC with my mods (see signature), will not last.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.