cruise control not working - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Powertrain
94-98 Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
cruise control not working

My '97 Auto. hasn't had cruise since I bought it 3 yrs. ago, anyone got a good idea how this would happen?

I'm guessing wiring, I haven't looked at a schematic yet...nor have access to one at this time.

The light on the steering wheel does appear when I turn it on. However once I go to set it..it does not set.

Anyones ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the exact same problem with my 98. The light comes on and it will not let me set any speed.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 9 reviews
i highly doubt that it is a wiring issue...its a vacuum line leak... go through all your vacuum lines starting from the vacuum pump and check for loose connections and leaks..i would replace all those flimsy rubber fittings they use to join the plastic hard tubing with the appropriate gauge rubber tubing so everything is tight and you can be sure there aren't any leaks. and usually the culprit is where the vacuum line goes into the firewall right above the turbo..it either gets melted or loose and then you lose cruise, but if you can move the plastic vacuum hard lines freely from their rubber fittings, get like a 2 foot section of rubber hose and cut new pieces to join them together...and eliminate any leaks and then go from there if your issue is still present...you may not even have like panel or floor vents...this is the exact same problem
Old 01-13-2009, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Hey.. I got no cruise control, and no defroster in my 97.. Got vents, and floor air, and they both move, but it won't go to defroster. The heater controls are vacuum operated on these rigs?

Thanks,
Len
#2: 1997 2500-4wd-5spd-Loaded-4" exhaust-KN air filter-turned up IP
thejunkman2005 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,570 Posts
Try lifting up on the brake pedal while setting the cruise.
The brake light switch is cheap and prone to failure.
If it cures your cruise problem by lifting a new switch is about $13 at Napa.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I had no cruise and the controls for defrost, etc were not working also. Come to find out when I was changing my fuel filter I cracked the plastic vaccum tee by the top of the valve cover close to the firewall. I think it's a 1/4 tee... There is a line that goes to the VSS(vehical speed sensor) below the drivers side battery near the fender, that was broken. After replaceing the tee and replaced the plastic line with rubber...down to the sensor, in the drivers fender, everything started to work. Check your vac lines for cracks...and replace with rubber.
1996 Black 12 valve CTD 4x4 SLT Laramie, Stock, Jasper Auto tranny...rebuilt in 2005, reg cab, 8ft bed, air... running on b100!when temps permit Upgrades: KDP fixed 110k Borgeson Steering Shaft install, Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265.75.16 tires....:
Davedove is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will go and check everything out this afternoon. Thanks for the help
Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

i have cruise, but it acts funny. i can set it on flat road and it does okay, but if i set it going up hill, or down hill it will speed up, sometimes as much as 8 or 9 mph, and then slowly come back down to where i set it. and the strangest thing of all is it's worse when it's cold. i use it some in the summer, but almost never in the winter.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymechanic View Post
i have cruise, but it acts funny. i can set it on flat road and it does okay, but if i set it going up hill, or down hill it will speed up, sometimes as much as 8 or 9 mph, and then slowly come back down to where i set it. and the strangest thing of all is it's worse when it's cold. i use it some in the summer, but almost never in the winter.
Sounds like the cable from the cruise actuator under the battery is gunked up or half eaten by battery acid.
Check the cable in it's entirety for binding.
For sure the most common cruise control problems are caused by battery acid.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2009, 01:15 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

i have the same problem with my 98 too...i turn it on and the light turns on but i cant set it at the speed i want but im going to check my vacumm lines maybe thats it but thanks for the help guys
Old 01-16-2009, 06:54 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I had it happen too. I was convinced it was electrical as i checked the vaccuum line at the T on the firewall. after hooking a scan tool to it (the benifits of having a 98) it turned out to be a huge hole in the tubing from the T to the VSS
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.