cummins stroker kit - Page 10 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 07:29 PM   #109 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would also love to see a p-pumped 6.7!

But getting back to the stroker kits, I seen an ad in the paper for stroker kits for a 5.9 cummins from freedom diesel, so i called freedom diesel a little bit ago and talked to Isaac. He said that the kit wasn't supposed to be in the ad i saw, and it was accidentally put in. But he said they did do a few, and that they aren't doing them anymore because of liability. He said they changed the crank (for a different crank throw to make a longer stroke) and He said they changed the pistons too and he said they usually bored them a little too so it would end up to be like a 6.5 or 6.6 with it bored and stroked. I'm not sure if they change the rod or not, he didn't say, but i'm guessin they do. He said that they sold it as a kit and said you had to do some machining to the motor to get it to work (I'm not sure exactly what) but he said that some of the guys he sold them to didn't do the machining and it didn't work out for them causing a liability issue, so thats why he said he's not doing them anymore. He said it did give more horsepower, but mostly more torque with the longer stroke. He said it gave about 35% to 40% more torque. I asked how much this kit he sold cost and he said it was just around $2000 for it all, which in my mind actually isn't too bad, cuz technically thats a fresh rebuild with a bigger stroke and bore giving more powa/torque!!!! He said he knew of some other places that were startin to do stroker kits for the cummins and that some were even doin them without having to have the motor machined, and some not even having them have to be bored out. He couldn't remember the phone number of this place off the top of his head, but he said that they are out there and I am searching for them!!! I think it would definately be cool to try and would be rare!
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 AM   #110 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin ACE View Post
I would also love to see a p-pumped 6.7!
There quite a few out there.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #111 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I haven't seen them. or why don't they chime in? Or is it more secretive?
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #112 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Everything in the sled pulling world is kept quite.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #113 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin ACE View Post
I haven't seen them. or why don't they chime in? Or is it more secretive?
there are some out there but since it is a fairly new thing the guys that did it are trying to keep their tricks up there sleeve as long as possible. kinda like p pumping a 24v, before that information was readly avable but now it is
94 Dodge 1500 2wd powered by a 2005 Cummins 3.9 4BTAA 27mpg 95 Dodge 2500 4x4 boost elbow (35psi) #10 fuel plate 99 2500 4x4 edge juice with attitude. 01 f650 with 5.9 cummins. 06 2500 all stock for now http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/cu...ics-truck.html
JakeDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #114 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Thunder View Post
I have a stroked 302(332") in my Mustang that turns 8500 rpm, and it revs a *lot* quicker than a 302 will, even with the extra stroke involved. The crankshaft gives the engine greater leverage to spin it, so it makes up for the added mass.
As a matter of fact, I happen to have a video of my stroked 302.
YouTube - 1977 Mustang II 332" 530hp stroker motor throttle response
Wrong.... The guy right before you explained. Good rod to stroke ration. 302 blocks get stroked all the way out to 408 they still have a good rod to stroke ration. I know personally of a 400 sbf cranking out 12 grand and 1500 horse. High deck motor has room for stroke and the long rod you need for it.
douger0500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 AM   #115 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.8LiterImportEater View Post
digging around and found this again.

No. If you lower the compression on a diesel too low it won't start. There is no spark in the cylinder and compression/heat is used to ignite it. If you lower the compression too much it won't run.

On a gas engine lowering the compression can allow you to run more boost, making the motor act bigger meaning more power, but there is still a threshold that a gas motor gets to that it just cannot ignite the gas on compression alone therefore won't start. It is very dependent on octane of the gas as well as other factors.

Back to diesel, understand that there is no fuel in the cylinder until the injector puts it in, meaning pre-ignition from compression is non-existent. With no pre ignition problems there is no real reason that more boost couldn't be applied to the motor (as internal strength is the limiting factor basically. There are other limits but lets keep it simple here.)

This means that more power is just a matter of cramming more air in then injecting in more fuel. This is why guys use either bigger turbos or bi-turbos so they can effectively get more air in and then they put in bigger injectors to make use of that air. There is definitely a reason to make the engine larger, but what the problem is, is that it will probably cost so much that the returns won't be worth the investment when upping the boost will make "similar" power. Will it make more low end, probably, but how much do you need?

Chris
As far as lowering the compression on a diesel. You ever see a guy shooting ether into a pulling tractor. That's why.

As far as your explanation of gas. Lower compression pistons makes your compression chamber larger meaning you can keep your ideal static compression ratio with more boost. The lower ratios the more charge you can put in there. Increasing the amount you burn making more power.

The larger stroke increases your capacity. You are sucking more air in forcing more out. Sucking more air in. Meaning you got more air forcing your turbo to spin sucking more atmosphere to make it so you burn more fuel. Allota benefits.

Now as far as a cummins goes it will be great for a street truck. But idk about a racing application. The deck might not be tall enough to support long enough rods. And thus limiting your rpms. Because with the shorter rods you are putting more force on the weak points of the rods. Now forged racing rods and stroker crank. Watch ouT!

Depends on what you are going for. I'm getting long winded thinking about all these variables.

If I stated something wrong please inform me.
douger0500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #116 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by douger0500 View Post
Wrong.... The guy right before you explained. Good rod to stroke ration. 302 blocks get stroked all the way out to 408 they still have a good rod to stroke ration. I know personally of a 400 sbf cranking out 12 grand and 1500 horse. High deck motor has room for stroke and the long rod you need for it.
How is my post wrong? Did I miss something? But since you brought it up, the stock 302 has a deck height of 8.05 inches, a rod length of 5.09 inches and a stroke of 3 inches. I'll let you do the math.
I suspect that you're confusing a Ford 302 with a Ford 351W, which is fairly similar, but has a much taller deck. The 351W can be stroked to more displacement than 408, but the 408 kits seem to be the most popular, because they maintain a decent rod to stroke ratio. But in my previous post, I wasn't referring to a 351W, I was referring to my own 302.

You say you personally know of a 400" stroked 302 turning 12,000 rpm and producing 1500 hp? Post some pics and the dyno video showing the output and rpm? That would be great.
1978 Bronco, '91 Non-I/C 12V, custom C6 auto/billet 1200 converter, NP205 case, 3.50s. 9" lift, 35s, 366 spring, 5 turns full power screw, star wheel adjusted. Denny T pin install. 4" exhaust, muffler delete. "No son, it's not a jet, it's a Bronco."

Last edited by American Thunder; 08-02-2010 at 10:09 AM.
American Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #117 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by douger0500 View Post
Because with the shorter rods you are putting more force on the weak points of the rods.
???

Short rods create greater piston sideload against the cylinder walls..
1978 Bronco, '91 Non-I/C 12V, custom C6 auto/billet 1200 converter, NP205 case, 3.50s. 9" lift, 35s, 366 spring, 5 turns full power screw, star wheel adjusted. Denny T pin install. 4" exhaust, muffler delete. "No son, it's not a jet, it's a Bronco."
American Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #118 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

So who has the best 12 v kit out there? What about just a stock master kit?
Old 08-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #119 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

so i (unlike many other it would seem) read all 10 pages of this post and the one question i saw asked a few times but was never answered is "if you find a 6.7 crank, with a front drive gear and weather it from a stroked engine or a stroked/bored engine, will it fit in the 5.9 block?" that being said any other factors of rod length and wrist pin placement are irrelivant if the crank wont even rotate in the block. so will it fit in the block with the stock main bearing size and the rotate in the block without having to clearance too much.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 AM   #120 (permalink)
Diesel Head

No.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.