Cummins Diesel Forum banner

'94 12v air/exhaust combo

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Extreme1 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 2500 12v 4x4 manual that I want to squeak a little more performanceand efficiency out of. From what I am reading, my first step is to modify the air intake syatem and allow for a more free flowing exhaust. I am all about more horsepower and torque, however, fuel economy and loadness of the truck are of primary importance.

I use this truck as a daily work truck...and I need to have the exhaust as quiet aspossible. All of my work is in exclusive neighborhoods and the residents don't dig on the loud trucks rolling thru the 'hood. Not that I don't agree with them, but they are the ones paying my bills and I need to comply with their desires.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Well, I suggest you rip that factory air box outta there and throw on a Nanofiber air filter. More flow, lower EGTs, and super easy to clean. No wet washing, no cleaner, no oil. Just take it off, blow it clean from the inside out with compressed air, and throw it back on. Also, if you want more efficiency and better mileage, change your oil and fluids over to a good synthetic (ahem, like AMSOIL, cough), and things will roll and run better. Also run a good fuel additive to clean your injectors out to get them back up to efficient operation. And in case is isn't obvious, I have everything you need in stock. :thumbsup
I've attached some photos of the new AMSOIL Ea air filter using Donaldson Nanofiber media.
-Chuck

Attachments

#4 ·
What do these filters go for? $$?

#5 ·
What's the amsoil number on that?? I get a couple different options using their cross reference, and no pics to compare.

Brad

#6 ·
It is an eaau4090 filter. They go for $61.70 normally, and $46.25 to my Preferred Customers. I also have reusable Nanofiber drop-in filters for 2nd and 3rd gen trucks that go in the factory airbox. Those are pretty popular for 3rd gen guys who do the swiss cheese airbox thing. I also have Nanofiber filters for Harleys. ;)

Thanks guys.
-Chuck Deye

#7 ·
I have a truck very similar to yours and I put in a single 4" turbo-back exhaust and an open air filter and it has a quicker acceleration, and it stays higher in rpm on the highway, and its power you can feel. And I would suggest you to inquire about an exhaust insert that might lower the exhaust tone.

#8 ·
I almost hate to say this but I will...

The biggest gains you'll get (and the cheapest) will be by increasing the fueling, not the air (yet). The '94-'95's defuel early, a 4kGSK (3K for autos or unless you don't want to replace the valve springs) will transform the way the truck drives. A set of 215 will also really wake it up then find a set of 181 delivery valves to smooth out the low RPM's. I've run this set up through the stock exhaust and got decent milage and performance. The next step would be a turbo exhaust housing (I ran a wastegated 14cm).

To improve your milage, install a valet kit and only turn on the power when you want/need it. I'm getting 18.5 mpg with my current setup (913 pump fueled for twins).

Flame suite on...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.