mighty diesel cylender head bolts? anything good bout em - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 09:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
mighty diesel cylender head bolts? anything good bout em

found a forum about them are they any good? thinkin about getting them Mighty Diesel - Diesel Performance Parts For Cummins Powerstroke Duramax and More

a link to the bolts just wondering if they are worth it as they claim to be better than stock bolts but not as good as studs
2005 2500 4x4 auto 18 in kmc wheels, 32X13.5 nitto terra grapplers, D-tech 62mm turbo, superchip, 187k rebuilt 5.9 mighty diesel head bolts flex-a-lite fans, mack air ride seats, women driver love taps in my doors
glowplug is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2010, 12:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
SLAUGHTERHOUSE!!

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
I'm not sure about the bolts but the guy mr Tony from mighty diesel is an excellent person and I buy pretty regularly from him. He has never steered me in the wrong direction and is pretty decent on giving good deals. I would give a thumbs up for him!
95 3500 , 2wd, auto goerend fully built tranny with billet input shaft billet flex plate and triple disc tc, Airdogg 2 165 , semi wheels, BHAF ,P pump tuned by relentless diesel, setup by my boys Mitchell and Jake by DAP!!!

2012 white 2500 g-56 4x4 short box 20 inch TIS wheels 35's toys CARLI SUSPENSION WITH THUREN TRACBAR AND STEERING STABILIZER H&S MINI MAXX, GDP, SINISTER, S&B, FLOPRO, AMP RESEARCH STEPS, 30 INCH RIGID LIGHT BAR, THANKS TO MY BOYS AT CJC OFFROAD!!
Dude_57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rescue Tower

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,321 Posts
If you are going through the trouble then go studs. I'm not sure where a little better than stock bolts, but not as good as studs lands you on the performance scale. I'd rather not find out the hard way either. JMHO tho.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
SLAUGHTERHOUSE!!

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
^^^^ agreed!
95 3500 , 2wd, auto goerend fully built tranny with billet input shaft billet flex plate and triple disc tc, Airdogg 2 165 , semi wheels, BHAF ,P pump tuned by relentless diesel, setup by my boys Mitchell and Jake by DAP!!!

2012 white 2500 g-56 4x4 short box 20 inch TIS wheels 35's toys CARLI SUSPENSION WITH THUREN TRACBAR AND STEERING STABILIZER H&S MINI MAXX, GDP, SINISTER, S&B, FLOPRO, AMP RESEARCH STEPS, 30 INCH RIGID LIGHT BAR, THANKS TO MY BOYS AT CJC OFFROAD!!
Dude_57 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I worked it out a few months ago that based on size and strength, the bolts are 35-40 % stronger than stock, and the standard studs are 55-60% stronger that the stock bolts. The 90 + 90 method of torqueing yields about 135lbs, or the same as studs. The bolts should work up to about 550hp or 50lbs of boost.

I've had them for about 6 months and run up to 50lbs with no issues yet. I'm thinking that I'll prolly test em with twins next year.

Having a flat head and block is the best way to keep from blowing the head gasket.
Drothgeb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
I worked it out a few months ago that based on size and strength, the bolts are 35-40 % stronger than stock, and the standard studs are 55-60% stronger that the stock bolts. The 90 + 90 method of torqueing yields about 135lbs, or the same as studs. The bolts should work up to about 550hp or 50lbs of boost.

I've had them for about 6 months and run up to 50lbs with no issues yet. I'm thinking that I'll prolly test em with twins next year.

Having a flat head and block is the best way to keep from blowing the head gasket.
being you have worked it up already what is the tensile strength of the stock bolts?? This will save me from testing one??

I love pigs, they turn vegetables in to Bacon
renopker is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by renopker View Post
being you have worked it up already what is the tensile strength of the stock bolts?? This will save me from testing one??
The stocks bolts are just under 11mm and about 150,000ksi tensile strength. The 12mm 12.9 allen bolts are a full 12mm and and are about 170,000-180,000ksi. Studs (not a specific brand) are a full 12mm and start at about 190,000 and go up from there.

The stock bolts are meant to be torqued to the plastic stage, and the stretch in the bolts is supposed to even out the force around the head. The studs and hi-strength bolts work on the principal that stronger is better.

Also, be aware that there are mutiple manufacturers of various high strength bolts that will work. I don't actually have Tony's bolts, I have a similar bolt that I bought over length and adjusted the size so that there are no threads above the block (just like studs). Also be aware that torqueing the bolts to 135lbs is well above the manufacturers recommendations, but it just seems to work well.
Drothgeb is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Diesel Head

awesome info I feel like Im in mechanical design class all over again. Since Im cheap as hell and dont plan to get too wild with my truck I really might go this route I've been eyeing diesel pap's head bolts for awhile.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

So will you be replacing the head gskt when you replace the bolts, or will you be replacing one at a time?
Freewheelin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drothgeb View Post
The stocks bolts are just under 11mm and about 150,000ksi tensile strength. The 12mm 12.9 allen bolts are a full 12mm and and are about 170,000-180,000ksi. Studs (not a specific brand) are a full 12mm and start at about 190,000 and go up from there.

The stock bolts are meant to be torqued to the plastic stage, and the stretch in the bolts is supposed to even out the force around the head. The studs and hi-strength bolts work on the principal that stronger is better.

Also, be aware that there are mutiple manufacturers of various high strength bolts that will work. I don't actually have Tony's bolts, I have a similar bolt that I bought over length and adjusted the size so that there are no threads above the block (just like studs). Also be aware that torqueing the bolts to 135lbs is well above the manufacturers recommendations, but it just seems to work well.
How did you determine the tensile strength of the oem bolts? I don't believe in studs on the street with the elevated tensile strength comes brittle, I have seen and heard of studs braking.All out racing yes with all the attention a race motor gets and how often its worked on.But with a drive and smile motor no.I have also had high tensile bolts brake not in a Cummings but a VW rabbit diesel built motor so we went to larger stronger bolts in stead of the OEM stretch bolts.These motors were prone to Hg failures with only 4 bolts per cylinder.Any way the bolts couldn't take the cycles and kept breaking, alum.heads grow a lot.After changing the torque on the bolts with no luck we were able to find a larger stretch bolt that took care of the problem .

Last edited by renopker; 12-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

this might be common info, but I was talking with a cummins engine tech and he said cummins claims theirs are good to 50 psi boost, and maybe even a little more if they're torqued to 125lbs, I think. A lot of guys probably upgrade that really could spend the $500 elsewhere
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokznojokz View Post
this might be common info, but I was talking with a cummins engine tech and he said cummins claims theirs are good to 50 psi boost, and maybe even a little more if they're torqued to 125lbs, I think. A lot of guys probably upgrade that really could spend the $500 elsewhere
Yes very true ORINGS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.