waste gate? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 01:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
waste gate?

quick question i've bee reading about disabling ur waste gate to get more power etc,is there any consequences when doing this?
cummins96 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
AlGores worst nightmare

You can get very high egt's, if not careful. If you have an egt gauge, and you keep it below 1350*, you'll be OK.
Gauges are important before any mods.
Motor; BHAF, #100 fuel plate, 5X.012 90hp injectors, Pacbrake 4kGSK, Loose starwheel. 306hp/743tq before injectors.
Exhaust; Schwitzer S300G, 4" downpipe, single 5" turnout stack.
Trans; Dunrite VB/TC, Intelligent Engineering billet input shaft, Burt Brown rebuild/upgrade.
Racer9 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

I would think that you could blow a head gasket.
Plowboydually is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I dont know what u mean by disabling it but u can plug it. If u want to there a little rubber hose that goes from ur wastgate to the turbo. You take the hose off the turbo not the wastgate. There will be a little elbow u just take it off that. Leave the hose attached to the wastgate. Take a bolt (not sure wat size youll just have to play around with it) and stick it in the end of the hose make sure the bolt is real tight then take a hose clamp and clamp it around the bolt so it wont blow out and for a little more insurance. I havent done it to mine yet but i would take the elbow out and put a pipe plug or somthing like that in it and youll be set u dont have to do that but im going to whenever i get time. I almost make around 50Lbs of boost all i have is an ICEBOX, 100hp injectors, and an edge comp. you arnt gonna gain alot of boost but a little bit enough to be noticable. I learned this from a friend that went to diesel school so im sure its okay cause he knows what hes talkin about.
I would recommend gauges though u dont have to it helps to know what going on. I dont know how high ur egts will go but I know the other day i put my foot in it and didnt look at the egt gauge and it read 1500. But i left my foot in it for a long time.

DO IT YOULL LOVE THAT LITTLE EXTRA BOOST!!
Old 10-01-2007, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

DO NOT DO THIS I did it lowered my EGT's and gave me more power but in the end i ate 5 turbos in like 4 months. You will overspin the HX35 and the shaft will break, trust me i went through 4 of them. If you want to do anything splice a T fitting into the wastegate line so the wastegate wont open all the way. I have a 24Valve turbo and it has a different wastegate setup no line from the injection pump for it. I see 30lbs of boost and thats a safe place for stock head bolts.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

My wastegate is blocked off and I hit 34PSI MAX. No problems with over 20K put on the truck by me.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrik4x4 View Post
My wastegate is blocked off and I hit 34PSI MAX. No problems with over 20K put on the truck by me.
At that psi you are fine. When I blocked mine I could get almost 50psi out of the poor little guy. Funny thing is it didnt pop until I put the 40 on then bye bye headgasket.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I was pushin 42 out of the stock turbo, I have 4.10 gears and it seemed like if I was rippin a little bit and i let off the compressor side would try and stop and would spin the shaft right off at the journal bearing on the exhaust side. I talked to shied diesel and they said that was the only thing they could think of. My buddy who owns a shop has disabled alot of wastegates on his customers trucks and I was the only 1 that had serious turbo problems, some guys did pop headgaskets or stretch the stock head bolts. Finally i put an HX35w off of an 01 on it and left the wastegate hooked up and no more problems. I blew 3 HX35W's and 1 H1C with a 18 housing.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Yeah, every situation seems different, however, the one thing that is UNDENIEABLE by anyone is the necessity for guages. If you stay under 35PSI with a stock turbo, all should be fine.
DISCLAIMER:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
THIS OFFER NOT APPLICABLE TO ALL ASSOCIATED MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD. ANY MISREPRESNTATION, REPRODUCTION, OR BROADCAST OF THIS STATEMENT USED IN AN ATTEMPT TO DEFRAUD, IMPLICATE, OR OTHERWISE ALTER THE ORIGINAL STATEMENT, IS PROHIBITED AND PUNISHABLE BY THE APPLICABLE LAWS IN THE ORIGIN OF VIOLATOR'S STATEMENT. NOT RECCOMENDED FOR USE BY THOSE LACKING THE PROPER MECHANICAL SKILLS, MONITORING DEVICES, OR LIFE SKILLS, COMMONLY ASSOCIATED WITH COMMON FKN SENSE. THOSE WITH QUESTIONABLE INTELLIGANCE, NEED NOT APPLY.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrik4x4 View Post
Yeah, every situation seems different, however, the one thing that is UNDENIEABLE by anyone is the necessity for guages. If you stay under 35PSI with a stock turbo, all should be fine.
DISCLAIMER:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
THIS OFFER NOT APPLICABLE TO ALL ASSOCIATED MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD. ANY MISREPRESNTATION, REPRODUCTION, OR BROADCAST OF THIS STATEMENT USED IN AN ATTEMPT TO DEFRAUD, IMPLICATE, OR OTHERWISE ALTER THE ORIGINAL STATEMENT, IS PROHIBITED AND PUNISHABLE BY THE APPLICABLE LAWS IN THE ORIGIN OF VIOLATOR'S STATEMENT. NOT RECCOMENDED FOR USE BY THOSE LACKING THE PROPER MECHANICAL SKILLS, MONITORING DEVICES, OR LIFE SKILLS, COMMONLY ASSOCIATED WITH COMMON FKN SENSE. THOSE WITH QUESTIONABLE INTELLIGANCE, NEED NOT APPLY.
That disclaimer is great!!
Old 10-03-2007, 09:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

I have an 02 thats the difference. But the guy that owned it before me did it and he had it plugged for over 40000 miles and never had any problems. I love it.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

I just took a set of vise grips and clamped the soft line right (by the head) and then drove it (hammered on it) and then take the grips off hammered on it again, and i did not notice anything... What is this mod spouse to do? and should i do it different
Roosten450 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.