Power Adders? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Power Adders?

So if I get this straight, on the 12 Valve Mechanical Engines, there is no such thing as the infamous 53 block that was only for the 98.5 to 02 24 Valvers.

Also, no VP44. Instead a P Series Mechanical fuel pump.

Because of that, a there aren't any tuners or programmers available for the trucks. Right?
npowell is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

You are correct, you do the tuning by fiddling with you fuel plate and tuning the pump
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Okay... then I wonder how I see people push 800 horses and four digit torque numbers?

Tuning the fuel plate, modified turbos, air intake, modified blocks, top-end, and such.

So what is some modifications you guys recommend to a newb looking to gain some additional horsepower?

And on a side note, what do you guys look for in purchasing a Cummins?
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

fuel plate, some kind of cold air intake, 4k governor spring kit (recommended you get 60 lb valve springs with the kit), then spend some time tuning your fuel pump right

If your talking about what kind of trucks we like i say 12 valve obviously, extended cab, long bed, 4x4 and manual tranny.

now if you talking about things to look out for check the front end over real well, 12 valves tend to tear up bushings and components in the front. Ask if the killer dowel pin has been taken care of, if the guy selling it doesn't know what that is it hasn't been addressed. Shaft play in the turbo. Check if the break off bolts on the injection pump are still there, if not the previous owner has done some pump tuning and you don't know if he f'd something up or if he made the thing fly down the road, could go either way.
1996 2500 ECLB, NV4500, 4X4, HTT 62/71/14, SDX 5x14s, #0 plate, 20*, 4K GSK, ARP studs, Snow water/meth, SouthBend, 5" EXH, AFC fiddled with, Icebox, ATS 3pc, PacBrake PRXB, Isspro gauges, As much Thuren as i can afford, more to come
colin91 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Okay walk me through this I'm kind of new to diesel vehicles.

I understand the breakoff bolts on the pump, I've read on that.

And what exactly should I look at under the front end? Ball joints, tie-rods, so on?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by npowell View Post
Okay walk me through this I'm kind of new to diesel vehicles.

I understand the breakoff bolts on the pump, I've read on that.

And what exactly should I look at under the front end? Ball joints, tie-rods, so on?
preatty much everything that should and shouldnt move. Rebuilding the suspension and steering can get quite pricey.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.