Needle Bearing Camshaft Roller Lifters Roller Cams - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselNasty View Post
Needle bearings on a cam? Like your saying the cam rides on needle bearings rather then there normal bearings. There are rollerized cams and roller rockers, but its needed only for high rpm and used in a some of the more powerful trucks. If you want more info call Scheid diesel or Haisley machine and I'm sure you can get what you want.
ya the cam rides on needles and ya ive heard of the drag trucks using them but has any one put them in a daily driver
has anyone ever used a lighter rod in a cummins like a titanium rod
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDiesel View Post
Im with you man u just want to do something different, I plan on doin a build making about750 hpjust goin to do it different to.
ya i wanting to make different type of power one that revs like no other with alot less friction in the motor and make it a stroker of possible
Old 02-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You do realise your talking about a very VERY expensive project right?

Not sure about putting the cam on needle bearings, never heard of that one before and i dont know if the block would have enough 'meat' to be able to hog out the holes big enough to use a needle bearing.

I think i would leave that part alone, the parastitic loss on the valvetrain is likely very small anyways and theirs no point wasting ALOT of time and money on something that might be a failure.

as far as using roller lifters and roller rockers, thats a fairly simple task, but again going to be an expensive one for just a couple HP. Your going to need a custom made cam to use roller lifters, flat tappet cams are ground with an upside down U type shape to the lobe which reduces friction and keeps the cam from trying to walk around, that shape does not play nice with rollers! For the roller lifters, i dont even know where you would begin to look for those (im sure their is some company somewhere that makes them and sells them for $5000!). The roller rockers can likely be done yourself if your handy in the machine shop.
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

ya i know if you want to see a needle bearing cam look for small block chevys

ya well then i could get a custom cam made to specific specs and it would be on rollers

ive never heard of any one doing this so maybe we are all missing out on something big idk
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

big difference between a 7000rpm SBC with 25% more valvetrain and running 200lb+ valveprings and the lil ol cummins that spins about half the rpm with 25% less valvetrain and 75% less spring pressure (which is what causes your parastitic loss/drag on the cam)

I think your barking up the wrong tree, its alot of money wasted for nothing. comparing a gasser valvetrain to a diesel is in no way comparing apples to apples, a gasser looses ALOT more power in the valvetrain than the cummins ever would. Theirs a reason why you dont see everyone with full roller cummins's, though im sure thair are a few out there, but are likely the guys with $80,000 engines spinning 6000rpm+ and running billet aluminum blocks!

Last edited by ykdave; 02-15-2009 at 02:48 PM.
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykdave View Post
big difference between a 7000rpm SBC with 25% more valvetrain and running 200lb+ valveprings and the lil ol cummins that spins about half the rpm with 25% less valvetrain and 75% less spring pressure (which is what causes your parastitic loss/drag on the cam)

I think your barking up the wrong tree, its alot of money wasted for nothing. comparing a gasser valvetrain to a diesel is in no way comparing apples to apples, a gasser looses ALOT more power in the valvetrain than the cummins ever would. Theirs a reason why you dont see everyone with full roller cummins's, though im sure thair are a few out there, but are likely the guys with $80,000 engines spinning 6000rpm+ and running billet aluminum blocks!
im not comparring gassers to diesels at all just wantn to know why no one has tried it in a 700hp truck that they might drive every day or drag race
Old 02-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Valair Inc. Clutch

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Hamilton Cam's or Hamilton diesel has roller rockers
06 QCSB 4x4 MTP s363/s475, Exergy 100%, Motorsports Dual CP3's, DF165, Diesel Pro's 188/220 cam, Maxspool Springs, Fluid dampener, Valair TC, Fully Built 48RE, EFI Live, Isspro, Cal Tracs, Co-pilot, Custom I/C and some other stuff I forgot. 896/1769

www.valairinc.com/performance
Valair1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

When I talked to PDR or Scheid before they were both talking to me about roller cams an lifters but they are only used for high rpm and very expensive. I never bothered to get a price. If you go in Enterprise Engine Performance website they have pics and prices of roller tip rockers.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

So much wrong information it makes my head hurt.
Don Wagner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 12:51 AM   #22 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Wagner View Post
So much wrong information it makes my head hurt.
Was anything I said wrong or just off the mark?
Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Roller cams have broader lobes than tappet cams. Needle bearings are pointless in a diesel application, bushings are used for billet cams. Valvetrain deflection is more of an issue than weight or friction.

Last edited by Don Wagner; 02-16-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Don Wagner is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

i agree with you
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.