Pistons - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -


Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Performance Parts Discussion
94-98 Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 94-98 Trucks No Advertising ...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut
 
94Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 409
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Pistons

What pistons would you reccomend for a 12 valve engine rebuild that's going to be getting big power thrown at it?

Matt
__________________
08 Dodge, 11 GMC, 95 Ford, 93 Ford/cummins, 93 Dodge
94Matt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2006, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head
 
Monster Truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kingston, WA
Posts: 1,676
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
if wiseco makes diesel pistons that would probably be a good bet.
__________________
94 Single Cab Custom Flat bed, Loaded, Auto,3.55s, straight 3.5'' pipe, custom fuel plate AFC all the way forward, Intake, 250k, New build lots to be done.
Monster Truck is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 215
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cummins marine piston is pretty hard to beat and fair priced.

Aftermarket piston on left (don't remember brand) and Cummins marine on right.
Bowl is wide open for a 370 injector spray
__________________
I "Banned" myself
Fueling Around is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Guest
Guest
 
Posts: n/a



Quote:
Originally Posted by Fueling Around
Cummins marine piston is pretty hard to beat and fair priced.

Aftermarket piston on left (don't remember brand) and Cummins marine on right.
Bowl is wide open for a 370 injector spray
What he said tried and proven
  Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut
 
94Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 409
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
That's what we were thinking is the way to go because of the 370 pattern.

The question is, does that limit you to a 370 injector from there on out? You never know what new injector may come along in five years.

We're also looking at the Arias brand. I don't know anything about them, other than you can get them with valve reliefs for a wild cam, which is on the list.

Matt
__________________
08 Dodge, 11 GMC, 95 Ford, 93 Ford/cummins, 93 Dodge
94Matt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic
 
DavidTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
I would ask myself what my goals where.

If this is a street/daily driver, I like the marine pistons. Starts well in cold weather, and injectors are everywhere that will make great power. Jeff just finished an engine with them in it for a daily driver coupled with his honed injectors, and 40/60 turbo's. Truck still has the 180hp pump with springs. It made over 600hp and 1200tq, idles clean, spools the turbo's impressively with about 60 pounds max boost. Under power, it is smooth, and at boost clean. This will be my next motor with a slightly different turbo setup.

Arias pistons are nice too. We have them in Darren's truck. Cut for wild cams etc. But starting on cold mornings without ether will not happen. IMO, these are race pistons and are for toys and race trucks.

Another option we have done is mill the marine pistons. This works well especially is you already have them in you motor and need more clearance and decompression.
__________________
David Dunbar
1998 2500 QC 12v
DavidTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 06:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 312
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTD
I would ask myself what my goals where.

If this is a street/daily driver, I like the marine pistons. Starts well in cold weather, and injectors are everywhere that will make great power. Jeff just finished an engine with them in it for a daily driver coupled with his honed injectors, and 40/60 turbo's. Truck still has the 180hp pump with springs. It made over 600hp and 1200tq, idles clean, spools the turbo's impressively with about 60 pounds max boost. Under power, it is smooth, and at boost clean. This will be my next motor with a slightly different turbo setup.

Arias pistons are nice too. We have them in Darren's truck. Cut for wild cams etc. But starting on cold mornings without ether will not happen. IMO, these are race pistons and are for toys and race trucks.

Another option we have done is mill the marine pistons. This works well especially is you already have them in you motor and need more clearance and decompression.
Impressive numbers! Did he change the cam or anything else?

D
__________________
2007 Ram2500 Laramie Mega Cab 6.7 auto 4X4. N-Fab nerf bars, pre-runner, rear runner 2" level kit, 20's XD795 Hoss - Black. BFG's 305/55/20 Hella 4000 lights. Smoked cab lenses. I'm done with the outside!
BigD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 06:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut
 
94Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 409
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the tips.
__________________
08 Dodge, 11 GMC, 95 Ford, 93 Ford/cummins, 93 Dodge
94Matt is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic
 
DavidTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD
Impressive numbers! Did he change the cam or anything else?

D
Stock cam. Stock motor with only the piston change and O-ring head. This one could make more power if we included bigger or cut deliveries, bigger injectors, head work and so on.

And don't get me wrong, there are some really good parts out there. I'm just one that likes to keep as much $$$ in my pocket as possible.
__________________
David Dunbar
1998 2500 QC 12v
DavidTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Tech Specialist
 
dodgentwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: lancaster, oh
Posts: 421
Thanks: 10
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTD
Stock cam. Stock motor with only the piston change and O-ring head. This one could make more power if we included bigger or cut deliveries, bigger injectors, head work and so on.

And don't get me wrong, there are some really good parts out there. I'm just one that likes to keep as much $$$ in my pocket as possible.
Do you remember the price tag for these pistons
__________________
'05 White 6-spd Dually
'03 Blue 6-spd SRW 3500
And 3 '97 5-speeds
dodgentwo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic
 
DavidTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Georgia
Posts: 190
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgentwo
Do you remember the price tag for these pistons
I wouldn't know the going price for them. Most all of the performance shops like Piers would have them at a fair price. I have also heard of them on e-bay. A guy down here bought a set of marines with rebuild gasket kit for somewhere around $900 if I remember correctly off e-bay.
__________________
David Dunbar
1998 2500 QC 12v
DavidTD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:05 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2