Help: No Heat! - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Help: No Heat!

This morning it was a little chilly out so i decided to run my heat. The Heat didnt cooperate with me to well...

I really have NO clue what the problem could be.
I'm pretty sure the cold a/c works though, havent really had the chance to check.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Bump......
Old 10-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

probly the heater core.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

My first thought was the heater core, too. I've had to do this a couple times on my wifes Bravada to check for the heater core clogging up...the theory still applies to ours. Open the hood and locate the hoses that go through the firewall to the heater core. There will be two of them. Once you know which hoses your looking at, start the truck to warm it up. As the truck is warming up, you are going to want to start feeling the hoses periodically for them to increase in temp. If both hoses are getting hot, then more than likely the heater core is not clogged, or at the very least has some flow going through it. If one hose is getting hot and the other is still cold, then you got a clog. It's easier to feel a difference if you do this test when the engine is completely cooled down, like over night. If it is clogged, then post back what you felt and there may be a couple options you can do without having to take it somewhere to have fixed. Like I mentioned above, I've had to deal with this several times on my wifes Bravada and have tried a few things that work.
'97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 12 Valve, 215 Pump, 16 deg Pump Timing, NV4500 5-speed, ISSPRO Gauges, #10 Plate, AFC Spring Kit, Amsoil #4510 BHAF, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, KDP more to come...
Hercules is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

So if its clogged what should I do? im not sure thats it, i'm just hoping it is...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

You have several options. On my wifes Bravada, I've been able to grab the hose that exits the heater core and start sqeezing. Do this with the engine off btw. This forces fluid back through the core and sometimes breaks lose clogs. Sometimes it takes a couple tries. Start the engine and see if it worked. If it didn't, try it again. If that didn't help, and another thing I had to do to the wife's truck once, was disconnect both hoses and hook up a garden hose to side that exits the heater core...the hose that felt cold. Then you turn on the water and back-flush the core. This particular technique was the last time I had to do anything to the core for probably 3 years now. There is a kit to do this that can be found at places like advance auto. Or, you could do what I did and duct taped the garden hose to it...I was in a rush and it worked. If none of this helps, then you will either have to have the heater core professionally flushed or replaced. Both are rediculously expensive at the dealer. I would just try to back-flush the system several times myself.
'97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 12 Valve, 215 Pump, 16 deg Pump Timing, NV4500 5-speed, ISSPRO Gauges, #10 Plate, AFC Spring Kit, Amsoil #4510 BHAF, 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, KDP more to come...
Hercules is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2008, 02:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

is your truck heating up to 190?
Old 10-30-2008, 07:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yes, it heats up fine, i have more fuel with a 3" exhaust... haha...

Hmm arent the tubes on the left side going into the firewall like near the turbo and stuff?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

yea if ur standin in from of the truck
if ur heater core is plugged up i would seriously consider a coolant flush your coolent should b changed ever 2years or 30k miles u most likly have sediment built up in the radiater and water pump also not to mention your block
Old 10-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

He said to squeeze them ^^ there metal arent they? and how do i disconnect them if there metal?
Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vBrandon View Post
He said to squeeze them ^^ there metal arent they? and how do i disconnect them if there metal?
The metal lines are for your a/c... heater hoses are rubber hoses
notahemi is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2008, 08:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Haha well are the rubber ones like below the a/c or what? I figured the metal were for a/c...
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.