locating tach wire on 97 cummins - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
locating tach wire on 97 cummins

Is there a tach wire inside the cab on these trucks to tap into for remote start or do i need to find the gray/black from the ecm???
I have enerything else wired and really dont want to run extra wires to the engine compartment.

If so what is the location and color.

Thanks guys
97 Dodge 2500 4x4 Ext. Cab cummins,Built Auto Trans. 47RE, Rebuilt T-Case, Fuel plate removed, Star wheel adjusted, Smoke screw slightly adjusted, New lift pump, Vulcan Drawstraw I, 36" Goodyear Wrangler R/TII Military-OZ.
cumminskildea is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Got tired of no response on the tach wire so i ran one from the ecm. On the same subject, does anyone have a good diagram for the door lock wiring? My remote start has two wires for the lock/unlock. Which wires should these be hooked to?
97 Dodge 2500 4x4 Ext. Cab cummins,Built Auto Trans. 47RE, Rebuilt T-Case, Fuel plate removed, Star wheel adjusted, Smoke screw slightly adjusted, New lift pump, Vulcan Drawstraw I, 36" Goodyear Wrangler R/TII Military-OZ.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Do yourself a favor and get a factory service manual. They contain complete wire diagrams. I prefer the paperback. It will be the most used tool in your shop.

1997 DODGE RAM FACTORY SERVICE CD-Geno's Garage

1997 DODGE RAM FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL-Geno's Garage
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

After looking at hundreds of posts and tons of info on multiple different issues I have found that asking for wiring info is useless on this forum. The only reliable replies to wiring questions is to "BUY THE MANUAL". 99% of the reason any of these forums were started was to HELP FELLOW OWNERS obtain problem solving information. Is it me or does everyone just have piles of money to buy whatever they need? Well I guarentee I am NOT the only one on here that struggles to keep things together. Sorry to say but I'll buy the manual and post every electrical diagram i can find. This is the most rediculous waste of time and the worst help i have ever had.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Do you want cheese with that whine?
The Following User Says Thank You to GAmes For This Useful Post:
B-Rack (01-28-2013)
Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I am reluctant to help due to the above comments but here ya go...

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagr...BY%20UNITS.pdf

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Re: locating tach wire on 97 cummins

the12volt.com is great for the stereo alarm self install. Look there you will find young grasshopper

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
98 RAM 12 Valve 37" #0 fuel plate, Dynamite Diesel 140 hp injectors, he351 turbo, 3 piece pulse manifold, AFE stage 2, head studs, 4.56 gears, Pyro Boost Trans gauges, tranny built, lock out switch, air bags, P-Pump rebuilt for high perf internal timed to 21*
jayfus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,577 Posts
Quote:
I have found that asking for wiring info is useless on this forum
That's because we know better.
One thing that is consistent with these trucks is the wiring and colors change every year.
If person doesn't want to buy a service manual my opinion is they shouldn't be doing their own work.
To me it's like having a screwdriver and hammer for your only tools.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its not that im reluctant on purchasing a manual, its seems frustrating that the only help is always pointed to the purchase of a manual. I was given the remote start for christmas and as a mechanic myself I REFUSE to have anyone from the BIG BOX STORE perform any work on my vehicles. I did hours of research on the ignition wiring diagrahm and printed out the above stated diagrahms from the 12 volt and bullydog security. I seemed to ask simply enough if there was a tach wire in the dash or if one had to be run and if anyone had the diagrahm to wire the door locks. Easy enough of questions i thought. I just figured for sure that someone else had a 97 that they installed a remote start on and could easily point me in the direction. However, I did find the answer I was looking for with the door locks. Didnt mean to piss in anyones cheerios for asking simple wiring questions. I didnt think this was such secretive information.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

I gave you a link to a picture of exactly what to do for door locks... Done many second gens this way, there is a tach wire inside the truck but it requires removing alot more than its worth. You wouldn't have to research ignition wires to do an install if you just looked at an install sheet, I've fixed many of people's mistakes by them doing it the hard way..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,134 Times in 1,577 Posts
Quote:
I didnt think this was such secretive information.
Ok then I'll tell you on my '95s the tach wire under the dash was gray with a black tracer.
Wire was hard to find, had to cut the main loom open and untwist the tight wires to get at it.
Can't guarantee your '97 is the same though.
Definitely have to find it for a remote starter or it will keep trying to start the engine when it's already running.
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have given up on door locks and hooking up the blower motor due to extreme cold weather! LMAO! It seems that my fingers and toes no longer like 10 degree weather and since this week has been below zero the rest will have to wait.
The Following User Says Thank You to cumminskildea For This Useful Post:
bigkid (02-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.