99 tow mirrors on a 96 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
99 tow mirrors on a 96

i have a 99 dodge 3500 with the tow mirrors and picked up a 96 dodge and want to pull the mirrors off the 99 and put them on the 96 well they be a bolt up or do i need to just order a new set
thanks
collateral damage is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't believe they will fit. I found tow mirrors on ebay, they type that swing-up for towing and just checked to see if the 94-97 ones I've been eyeing will fit your '99 and it says no. They have non-powered set for $135 and power set for $205, both shipped.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Thanked 1,375 Times in 1,114 Posts
The mirrors mount the same way on the same door. The only difference is the tow mirrors need a stabilizing plate. Hopefully those are included with the mirrors.

The only other issue is power. If you have power mirrors on both trucks the aftermarket mirrors on the 1999 have a different plug than the 1996. The solution is to cut the ends off and do a swap. Then you would have the correct ends to get power from your harness.

The only question is if you would use the heated mirror function and hook up some custom switch and timer or if you would just leave it unused.

Read the thread below for more information.
Tow mirror part numbers and descriptions for your search with your 1994-2002 truck.
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.

Last edited by country_hick; 07-19-2012 at 06:31 PM.
country_hick is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
both doors are the same the mirros will swap out no problem but if they are power the electrical connection is different but can be wired up to worki had to buy a replacement for my 94 and it was sent with the newer plug style but i got it wired in and working with no issues
twisted_diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

there powered mirrors on the 99 and not on the 96 but i found a 95 at the junk yard with power mirrors i was going to pull the wiring out and put it in mine dont care about the heat part i live in florida
if its a bolt on set up ill do the swap and just splice wires i just dont want to be drilling holes and fabing up brackets
and country hick what does the stablilzing plate look like
thanks
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by collateral damage View Post
there powered mirrors on the 99 and not on the 96 but i found a 95 at the junk yard with power mirrors i was going to pull the wiring out and put it in mine dont care about the heat part i live in florida
if its a bolt on set up ill do the swap and just splice wires i just dont want to be drilling holes and fabing up brackets
and country hick what does the stablilzing plate look like
thanks
It looks like this. One per side.
Dodge Ram Pickup Truck Tow Side Mirror Support Bracket Passenger Side Right RH | eBay
1997 3500 club cab 3.54 gears towing & camper pkg. Still stock with a built transmission at 120k. 4" exhaust, 4kgsk, and exhaust brake waiting for installation. Still need ideas for improvements for hauling 15k fifth wheel.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

what would happen if you didnt use them would in just bend the door or make the mirror shack alot
Old 07-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
On call 24/7

iTrader Score: 11 reviews
They will shake like crazy.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Due to excessive mirror weight and vibration the doorshell could eventually crack where the mirrors mount. The stabilizing plates take the stress from 3 little holes to a large plate covering several inches that prevents the thin sheet metal from cracking.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Diesel Head

iTrader Score: 7 reviews
If your taking these off one truck and putting them on another you should have the brackets already

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
twisted_diesel is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Diesel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_diesel View Post
both doors are the same the mirros will swap out no problem but if they are power the electrical connection is different but can be wired up to worki had to buy a replacement for my 94 and it was sent with the newer plug style but i got it wired in and working with no issues
Hey is the wiring simple? I remember trying this on my old 95 nad blew something in the truck. I am doing it again with tow mirrors on my newer 95 and dont want to do the same thing.
ROBBIESWORLD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 01:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Diesel Head

You can always just buy the 1994 to 1997 mirrors on ebay and not worry about wiring anything wrong. The key is watching the wires on the back of the mirror itself. Some people have reported they needed to make a better hole so they would not pinch the wires during installation.

Look here Tow mirror part numbers and descriptions for your search with your 1994-2002 truck.

To put Kool-Vue mirrors (1998-2002) on a '94 - '97 truck that has these connectors,
you need to wire it like this:

up/down wire to Kool-Vue white wire #1
common (center) wire to Kool-Vue blue wire #3
right/left wire to Kool-Vue yellow wire #2

Even if for some reason you wire it wrong you can always use a multimeter to verify that power goes to the right connector before you plug into the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.