Wanting a solid front-end !!! lifted trucks reply - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Wanting a solid front-end !!! lifted trucks reply

i hit bumps and think i left my front axle a mile back.

dual steering stabalizer + bushings + track bar + traction bars
will that help??? lol. i've gotten to where i would be fine dropping 1,000 dollars on my front end !!!! after boot camp this winter, i will have money i made it boot camp and nothing to spend it on. (they feed us and we have shelter) lol

what should every lifted truck have up front ???

doesn't a 3rd gen track bar fit a 2nd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Mine rides like a caddy, no death wobble or anything. I have a 6 inch lift with 41 inch iroks.

No steering stabilizers.

What I did do is install a DT track bar, Made my own steering links with heim joints, Fox shocks, Long arm Cepek links.

I think the combination works great, only wore out a couple of heims so far and I have had the steering setup for about 7 years. Replaced the heim on the DT track bar once. Make sure the ball joints and everything else is tight all the time. Also make sure the angle and length of your track bar is the same, or close to the same angle of your steering bar so you don't get bump steer.

Also make sure you have a slight amount of toe in on your tires and about 4 degrees of caster.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Head

CPP 3rd gen adjustable track conversion would work pretty dang good, that's what I had on my 2nd gen that had thuren springs and cepek long arms
A Custom Diesel steering brace off of ebay would help too
AKRIDER is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2011, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

much appreciation!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Crossover style steering and a steering box brace (aka DSS) will tighten up the front end drastically.

Of course, everything else in the front end needs to be good and tight, but the brace and crossover steering was the only way i could get mine to stop going wild on the highway with my bias iroks! LOL

A good steering stabilizer is nice as far as 'feel' goes, but they are intended for pretty much just that. They are not designed to nor will they cure a death wobble (only fight it until it pounds out the stabilizer). I would suggest you go without a stabilizer until you are certain you have cured the DW, at that point you can throw on a stabilizer without worry of temporarily masking an underlying issue.
ykdave is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 06:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

My 98 has a 5" lift, 35 bfg at's, and thinks its the only thing on the road, I hope I don't get pulled over and get accused of dui...truck off in park, the steering wheel has about 6 inches of play, its very aggravating, I think it may be in the gear box...?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

im gonna do bushings . steer box. for sure.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwagnon89 View Post
My 98 has a 5" lift, 35 bfg at's, and thinks its the only thing on the road, I hope I don't get pulled over and get accused of dui...truck off in park, the steering wheel has about 6 inches of play, its very aggravating, I think it may be in the gear box...?
Have you tried adjusting the preload on the box? If nothing else is loose in the system you can try that. There is an allen screw with a nut on it on top of your box, loosten the nut and tighten up the allen screw a few turns. If you do it too much, your steering will be too tight, so it may take a few adjustments to get it right.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Have you tried adjusting the preload on the box? If nothing else is loose in the system you can try that. There is an allen screw with a nut on it on top of your box, loosten the nut and tighten up the allen screw a few turns. If you do it too much, your steering will be too tight, so it may take a few adjustments to get it right.
Yes, I plan to adjust it when I get it back...its under construction
Someone decided they wanted to be in my lane more than I did today..so...I had to adjust that screw on my duramax when I got it too...I think some people are scared to adjust them, but I'll try anything to fix that crap...Anyone know a good place to get a cowl hood, grille, front bumper, for a good price? Lmc has a cowl for $570 plus shipping, my 99 has a cowl hood on it I i love it!
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.