oil pressure sending unit location(pic)? - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
oil pressure sending unit location(pic)?

so on my other thread which has apparently gone dead i had a pressure problem. i checked the pressure at the filter and had high 40's for idle and 75 at about 2000...which seems normal from my research.
but my gauge in the truck still does different things. the part that worries me is that around 1250 rpms it almost always goes to normal and then falls off. but when its started cold it stays normal until it warms up then drops off.
so basically i want to check what it says at the sending unit location with my mechanical so i can start to panic or be relieved, also i need to know where it is so i can change it if it needs changing either way.
i've seen the diagram of the engine showing where everything is but im basically retarded when it comes to this it seems and have no idea what to look for. so a picture would really help me out.

i dont know what to look for because everything is covered in oil and black so a picture would be amazing. hopefully someone can help me out.
btw i did search for this for quite a long while over the last few days.
thanks in advance
texazranger04 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Dont have a pic but I will try to explain. First off go power wash under the hood and get everything you possibly can, this will make things much easier to see let alone work on. Drivers side of engine behind rear of your injector pump is the oil sensor you are looking for, you may have to remove loosen the return spring bracket or the bracket supportting the pump cant remember but its a very tight fit between the pump and block. There is a speacial socket for removing the sensor but I used a wrench or a pair of good channel locks cant remember which (5 yrs ago ). Hope this helps ya
Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Is it seeable? Obviously you can reach it from the top? Tips on washing?
Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Oil PSI Sender

I replaced mine abot 6 months ago. NO pic sorry I ended up braeking it on removal, got a new one from cummins cause for this item I didn't trust a zone. Follow the oil feed line from the vacuum pump, up above it is the oil psi sender. As the other gent said, below the P7100. Is rather difficult to access. I think the service manual tells you to remove it when replacing the power steering pump as you can easily fowl a wrench on the sender when accessing the Power steering pump mount. IT is all rather tight up in that area.

With my NEW oil pump ( cummins 24v pump - made in cina) I run a steady indicated 45 psi, so new pump keeps oil psi releaf valve continously working
Old 09-29-2010, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Tip for washing
POP the hood and spray away just dont go crazy on the air box or filter if exsposed, cover it up, you wont hurt anything else, Ive done it more under my hood
Old 10-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

ok...so i have a small update...

i did get under the hood and believe i found the elusive oil sending unit...oh but wait!, not only did i find it, i captured it on digital photography...I WIN!
here it is for anyone that reads this and is wondering the same thing i was wondering...

i have a slew of problems cropping up left and right, time for another thread.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Got the sending unit on and all is well...checked the pressure with a mechanical gauge and it was textbook so that was a HUUUGE sigh of relief for me. Thanks for the help guys. Also for anyone else that would see this you need a 1-1/16" deep well socket and various extensions to get it off and on. I don't recommended trying to twist on the flat plastic part with pliers or vise grips...you may just break the sending unit as I may or may not have found out.
96 auto single cab, #100 plate, turned star wheel, bhaf, 6" black stack and plenty of turned heads
09 harley nightster, v&h sideshots
Old 11-15-2010, 10:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,570 Posts
Stock for one day
illflem is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Cummins Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by illflem View Post
That picture definitely helped me out. Its pretty much in every thread and book. The one thing I noticed is how close the power steering pump/reservoir is to it.that made it the most difficult
96 auto single cab, #100 plate, turned star wheel, bhaf, 6" black stack and plenty of turned heads
09 harley nightster, v&h sideshots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.