Fuel Gauge does not work - Page 2 - Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
- HOME - FORUMS - GARAGE - TECH - ARTICLES - CHAT - CLASSIFIEDS - REVIEWS - VIDEOS - MEMBER MAP - STORE - INSURANCE -
- REGISTER - CALENDAR - INFO - SITE HELP - RULES - STAFF - MEMBERSHIP - ADVERTISE - CONTACT US -

Welcome to the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum, the fastest growing Dodge Diesel Community on the internet.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us
Go Back   Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum > 2nd Gen. Dodge Cummins 94-98 12V Forums > 94-98 Non-Powertrain
94-98 Non-Powertrain Discussion of 94-98 Topics Not related to the Powertrain...NO ADVERTISING

CumminsForum.com is the premier Dodge Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 07:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
Cummins Enthusiast

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Same here!!! Seems like a common problem. Going to tilt the bed and pull-er out and fix it!!!
SootyCND is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 07:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_lawrenceplus View Post
yeah. I got my 95 4wd 2500 with the fuel gauge not working. I have a chiltons. Would that be the same as the service manual you are talking of?
The Chiltons manual is better used for toilet paper. Too many mistakes and not enough info. The wiring diagrams in the factory service manual is bigger than the Chiltons manual.
KDP tab fix info and fuel system article jgeorge1@suddenlink.net '95 2500 CC auto 4X4, 3.54, EGT, boost, fuel pressure, trans temp guages, PacBrake, TST #5, DTT VB, DTT triple disk TC, DTT billet flex plate, Cummins chrome kit.
Joe G. is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Cummins Fan

Looks like I'm not alone LOL I have a 1997 3500 and I started it up the other day and its reading empty with the light on all the time now.

Just been having to Odometer I know around 515 better fill her up again but theres been two times now I ran out its a real pain in the so any of you that know what to do to fix this id be appreciated.

Kenny,
Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

ive had mine fixed twice[sending unit] since i bought it in 98.mine is a 97,what i do is reset the mileage counter everytime i fill up and then go between 4-500 miles.its better than spending money at the dealer,works for me
legendhasit is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #17 (permalink)
Diesel Head

there is a partnumber on this forum somewhere for the dealer to just by the sending unit. for around 40-70 dollars.

but i replaced my whole module since it fell apart when i took it out from the rust since it was sitting forever before i bought it. but that whole kit is 309 dollars from rockauto.com when you get the new sending unit there is also a post somewhere that shows how to fix the new sending unit so it wont have the same problem of going out.

i would look it up, but been busy at work. just do a search =)
96 Dually. 2WD. 5 Inch Straight Exhaust, AFE Intake, KDP Fixed, Gauges, 100 Fuel Plate, 3k GSK, BD Intercooler Boots, 4:10s, Borgeson Box. Borgeson Shaft, Flatbed, All LED lights
kayden101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

I spent the $70 from the stealership and the gauge still doesn't work. I haven't had time to do any more diagnosing, so I'm not sure what the cause is. My guess is a bad ground/wire somewhere between the sending unit and gauge.
Bunker Buster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster View Post
I spent the $70 from the stealership and the gauge still doesn't work. I haven't had time to do any more diagnosing, so I'm not sure what the cause is. My guess is a bad ground/wire somewhere between the sending unit and gauge.
do a gauge test. if you unplug the wire off the fuel tank the gauge should drop all the way past E. once you plug it back in, it should move up to were ever. OR with your fuel tank out, plug it in to the gauge wire and move the sending unit arm up and down. your gauge should be moving to fuel with the sending unit arm all the way up. and to E with it down.
if not you got a busted gauge.

also is the kit inside your fuel tank rusted and broken?

mine was. and when i just bought the sending unit and put it in, it still didnt work. so i bought a whole know module kit for 310 dollars and installed. now it works with no problems.
96 Dually. 2WD. 5 Inch Straight Exhaust, AFE Intake, KDP Fixed, Gauges, 100 Fuel Plate, 3k GSK, BD Intercooler Boots, 4:10s, Borgeson Box. Borgeson Shaft, Flatbed, All LED lights
Old 06-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
Diesel Head

If your gauge fails the test in the service manual check the connector near the front body mounting pad. There are two connectors there so you need to check your service manual to make sure you have the right one. That connector on my truck was so corroded that I have to remove it and connect the wires directly. If you don't have a service manual you can get one for $30 on CD from Dodge Manuals and Reference Books-Dodge Cummins Diesel Truck Accessories – Geno’s Garage .
KDP tab fix info and fuel system article jgeorge1@suddenlink.net '95 2500 CC auto 4X4, 3.54, EGT, boost, fuel pressure, trans temp guages, PacBrake, TST #5, DTT VB, DTT triple disk TC, DTT billet flex plate, Cummins chrome kit.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #21 (permalink)
Cummins Fanatic

Everything inside the tank was very clean and no rust. I'll check all the connections and keep meaning to do the test at the sending unit, just haven't had time. I did not know about the connector up front, I'll be sure to check that. Thanks!
Bunker Buster is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 01:53 AM   #22 (permalink)

after all my reserach I was told it was my sending unit, so I bought one off ebay since no dealers around here had any, dropped the tank and put it in and connected everything back up, turned the key and mine would always like to sit little after half before I changed it out so it moved it went to e with the fuel light on so I was happy figured it worked, put $60 worth of fuel in and it didnt go anywhere. So then I went underneath my truck today and unplugged the wires that clip in to the top of the fuel tank because I can access that and the gauge went below e and the fuel light stayed on. Plugged it back in and it moved slowly back to red line E with the fuel light on. This is just getting ridiculous there has to be something up I just spent $95 on this new sending unit and took all that time dropping the tank to do it..
96 12v Ex. Cab, LB, 4x4, Auto -- 6" black CAT stack, 3" lift, 35's on 16" ProComp's -- Autometer gauges, ERA 435 injectors, HTT 64/71/14 turbo, upgraded rebuilt trans, 4k gsk, 60# springs, 191 dv's, #100 plate.
xNickx23x is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #23 (permalink)
Diesel Head

Did you do the tests in the service manual to find out if the sender or something else is wrong?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #24 (permalink)
Diesel Head

few things, how was the inside of your tank? clean or dirty and rusted, mine was all nasty and rusted away and i had to buy the whole module to fix my problem because it was soo rusted it broke in half when i barely took it out.

also follow the wires from the fuel tank to behind the fire wall. make sure they are not damaged or worn out in any way. i heard this happen before and gives the wrong readings on the gauge.

Not calling u stupid or anything. but did u MAKE sure the new sending unit wires went to the right spot. I know i make silly mistakes when im frustrated or tired. but then again i make a lot of silly mistakes like that lol.

Saw in your email you cleaned the plug. thats good.

if all this checks out, i would check the gauge itself. but i doubt its bad since as soon as you unplug it it goes straight to below E.

Also what does the fuel gauge show when you full up the tank. Still E?

if everything checks out, then all i can think of is they sent you broken sending unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.