Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Floor wet from A/C

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Southtowns27 
#1 ·
Yet another "my floor is wet from the A/C thread." I just had the A/C in my truck recharged. It's been non-functional for 6 years. I've been using it and I have water running out the floor duct on the passenger side. I figured the drain was just plugged up form lack of use. I blew air back through it and attached a piece of rubber hose to it to extend it away from the firewall. I've heard that sometimes the water can run back along the bottom of the factory drain line and drip on the floor. Well, still no change. The factory drain has water dripping from it, but there is still water leaking out the floor duct. What do I do now?

#2 ·
Still sounds like a plugged condensate drain to me. You may be seeing drops from the tube, however the blockage may be allowing a small bit by. Evap case may have crack as well?

#4 ·
For the drain, be certain it's got a 90 degree bend pointing to ground to keep water from following drain hose back to firewall.

#5 ·
Already tried the rubber hose extension, no luck. It doesn't feel like the drain is restricted when I blow air back into it...
Any other thoughts?

#6 ·
same issue here....
will keep an eye on this thread and please let us know what do you find out.

#7 ·
If your drain is plugged at All, and your system is freezing, It may overwhelm it's ability to drain fast enough. Be sure system is cycling properly and is full. If the compressor doesn't cycle it could cause iced up evaporator. Does your air flow ever seem to decrease?

#8 ·
Air flow seems constant. I just took the truck on a 4+ hour road trip and had the A/C on the entire time. I blew cold the whole while. At idle, I can hear the compressor cycling. Still have a trickle of water coming out of the floor duct...

#9 ·
I wonder if you cleaned the evaporator that the water drip would remedy. Drill a small hole in the case and hit liberally with coil cleaner and rinse with spray bottle. Plug hole with silicone. Perhaps half or more of the coil is plugged with crap and the air flow is too high on remaining surface area blowing condensed water past coil.

#10 ·
Hmmm...that sounds plausible. Where's the best place to drill the hole?

#11 ·
In the evap case about center. Either way it's fine to clean the coil, won't hurt.

Reactions: Southtowns27
#12 ·
Ok, this might sound stupid, but where exactly is the evap inside the whole heater/AC box?
The more I think about it, the more I think you're correct about the fan blowing condensation off the evap. When the fan is on high I get a whole lot more water out the floor vents than when it's on a lower setting.

#13 ·
Right under the glove box is the blower motor, then to the left the resistor and to the left of that the evap case.

Reactions: Southtowns27
#14 ·
Sounds good. How close is the evap to the case? I have this terrible feeling I'm going to drill a hole in the case and drill a hole in the evap at the same time lol.
I was thinking I'd use a small hole saw and find a rubber expansion plug to fill the hole

#15 ·
If you go slow and stop just when you punch through you'll be fine.

#16 ·
Ok, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.